small commuter power craft

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello

I live on an Island , and often commute to University on a ferry.

I would like to have a small, fast , reliable ,craft that I could use for the crossing, sometimes, every day.

I have an open mind , but 4 stroke outboard power in the 15 to 30 hp or a Jet ski pump/engine would seem the most likely( at this stage any way )

One major design point is the need to be able to cruise at reasonable (?) speed the on the homeward leg , when the afternoon sea breeze is in. Also there are many morning hours, and sometimes 4 or 5 days on end in winter, when there is a near perfect glass-out conditions. This is not the time for a slow craft.

I have thought about the range of PWC's on the market now , and think that they have huge potenial. I am a little concerned about there in - line , into 1 to 1.5 metres of close chop.

I obviously have the Ferry at hand , so If you had really yuk weather you can travel on it.

Anybody with info on this type of thing please type up!!!!!!

Thanks

Chris

5milesofwater

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Are you thinking of designing building such a craft or are you looking for something to buy?

3. EJMD

EJMD New Member

4. Stephen Ditmore

Stephen Ditmore Senior Member

5. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

seaka

If you are looking to build maybe a style like this would work.
    I was going to put the pump and motor out of a 3 seater sea-doo
    580cc But I lost interest after the sea-doo(i bought sight unseen for a song) I was told it had been wrecked. anyway I picked it up charged the battery "like new" so i sold it. That was the intended power for this boat. at speed in a chop she will ride a little wet i think. I have the body sections too if you are interested for free!
    then take them to somebody who knows whate they are doing!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.