Side scan sonar

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Asleep Helmsman, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Were starting a search for companies that make side scan sonar components (not complete submersibles) and anything they might think is useful for underwater UUVs.
    If anyone here has done some research on this, I would appreciate some feed back, or if you’re a supplier of these types of products, and you either have a presence in the North America or would like to develop one please contact me.
    Thanks folks

2. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

Ross Laboratories in Seattle built some custom gear, a few years back, and WesMar in Bothell, Washington also built some of that stuff.. There was another outfit in Ballard that built some as well..... but the name escapes "Me" at the moment.... The Big Boys use Honeywell Stuff from the Ballard Lab....

3. Asleep Helmsman

Thank you BT

4. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Coincidence: We will be discussing Side Scan Sonar today in a course I am taking on Ocean Engineering with a researcher from Woods Hole..

I'll try to find some leads if possible.

5. Asleep Helmsman

Wood Hole is a big player in the field. Soon you will be hearing from Clear Lake Oceanographic.

You never know, the Saint's are headed for the Superbowl

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Pick up your latest copy of Sea Technology (www.sea-technology.com) for more vendors than you can shake a squid at. Teledyne, Fishers, Kongsberg, Klein, and a host of others.

7. Asleep Helmsman

Thanks.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Atlas Marine Technik in Germany makes them since centuries. or so....

9. nukisen

nukisen Senior Member

10. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Guess so: they only seem to know about buying complete Side-Looking Sonars for about $50,000 .. They spec'ed one for the University here; I hope I get to play with it when it arrives...

Are you looking for the base-level linear transducer arrays? Or array package with electronics? More??

I did find the following, based on modifying a Hummingbird instrument. They also have a lot of open-source software..

http://www.oceanecology.ca/sidescan sonar.htm

...scroll down to their towfish section.

Let us know what you find out...

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

That is a pretty cheap one Terry.

12. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

What has a infrared camera system to do with a sonar? Idiot! Go back to your sandbox and stop posting your crap all over the Forum.

You never know what we adults are talking.

14. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Please educate me: Is side scan sonar any different from what Navman offered as a 3D transducer? It can be connected to several of their fish finder models and shows echos under and on both sides of the boat.
    It was not included in the package but available as an extra for approx. $180.

15. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

In marine geology....

Side scan sonar are used to evaluate matter entropy.

http://74.125.155.132/scholar?q=cac....com/ entropy matter sonar &hl=fr&as_sdt=2000

Maybe the function is reversible as most physics laws are.

So my idea was to measure entropy differences with a thermal cam in order to do a side scan.

Sorry, i thought that entropy was a linear function of the quantum geometry of matter. So thermal way would have been a path to explore.

Hopefully, you know physics better than me, and prevent us from exploring useless idiot solutions.

I beg your pardon, as well as, to all the readers, for my stupid immature post.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.