Small Catamaran Circumnavigations

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Trevlyns, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hello fellas

I’m looking for constructive thoughts/input in the pursuit of my “ultimate dream”

I’ve recently started construction on a small (8m – 26ft) sailing cat which I designed myself. Let me say right now, I’m not a naval architect but consider myself to be a pretty competent amateur. I’ve done all the “sums” and have produced an acceptable design - at least by my standards.

The hulls are basically stitch and glue (6mm plywood), but she’s a bit overbuilt with solid frames and stringers for greater reinforcement. She’s also a bit radical too – not having conventional leeway resistance, but anti-vortex panels (http://www.ikarus342000.com/Avorart.htm), a single centrally mounted rudder and a bi-plane wingsail setup. Despite this, at 2 ton displacement, she was not designed to be a hot-rod racer but rather a comfortable, easily handled cruiser for myself and my lovely lady - both in our late 50’s.

As mentioned, her LOA is 8 meters and she sports a 5.1 meter beam – which is basically the biggest size I can fit into my back garden – the curse of living in Britain!

My fellow contributors I would humbly ask, what do you thing of the size – for a crew of two – for a planned 3 year circumnavigation? I know extraordinary things have been accomplished in even smaller cats, but what I am trying to establish is a general opinion as to what is a “reasonable” size for a small sailing catamaran circumnavigation.

All constructive criticism welcome - thanks lads!

2. nero

nero Senior Member

Post some picts or drawings please.

I thought I was slowing down at age 40. After what you write, I think I am ready to be in a wheel chair.

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Your size is fine, but that's only one factor in success.

The Heavenly Twins 26' has made many ocean crossings, a few may have gone right round. Somewhat slowly, but no worries due to size if you stick to the beaten path.

Construction, equipment, preparation, routing, and competent crew are more important than size. "Go small, go now!"

All the best, Tad

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.