Small Cat Design Issues

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by massivo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. massivo

massivo Junior Member

6.5m Glass Cat Design Issues

Hi everyone
    I have just registered with this forum and would like to congratulate everyone for the good work.
    Im a previous boat owner and since then became fascinated with them. I sketched roughly a small 6.5m cat and would like some opinions from the experienced boat designers and users on the cockpit visibility and other issues you might find appropriate to highlight.
    I find that space, utility and safety in boats is the most important aspect of using a boat.
    I designed this cat for fishing but still wanted a boat that i could take out friends and girlfriend along. So i chose a flat front deck so if anyone wanted to sunbathe they could, and if i wanted to carry extra load also.
    I would also like an opinion on the square shape of both hulls, and how they might affect loading it on a trailer, because of the right angles of the hulls it might be difficult risking the wheels touching the hull therefore having to have a realy wide trailer or raised boat, making it difficult to load it to the trailer.
    The reason for these shapes is for the space it provides for storage, water tanks, etc.

Any comments are appreciated

Attached Files:

2. massivo

massivo Junior Member

I would also let you know that i intend to build with fiberglass and composite structural reinforcements with the infusion process, to keep the weight down.

3. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

Nice effort. I would suggest raising the height of the cross structure between the 2 hulls. It looks like it wil be too close to the water and will be hit by the smallest of waves.

4. massivo

massivo Junior Member

thanks for that
    i have seen that and have other sketches with it raised a bit more.
    i just chose this one for the esthetics point of view
    thanks for your time

5. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I think you can simplify the shape of the bottoms. I think a simple V will be OK, and the multiple steps and the concave shape is not worth the trouble.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.