Which Stapler to Buy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by ElGringo, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ElGringo

ElGringo Senior Member

I want to buy a stapler to use with plastic staples for attaching 1/4" plywood to 1X2's. And, of course I have never used one or even seen one that I'm aware of. I'll use it for one set of catamaran hulls, then probably never use it again. I don't want an air powered one if there is such thing. A brand and model number and staple size would sure help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

The Raptor or Red Hawk plastic staples are basically a replacement for the Duofast 5000 series staples. They are 1/2" crown and a maximum leg length of 9/16". That's a bit short for fastening 1/4" material, especially if it is being bent.

For 1/4" material I think you'd want something in the 3/4" to 1" range ... even longer if parts are under stress while the glue is drying.

I use 1/4" crown 18 ga. staplers. Mine handle staples from 1/2" to 1-1/2"
    You could drive galvanized steel staples through a wooden pad and pull them after the glue has cured, or you can use stainless steel staples which are available in 304 or 316 SS.
    I have a Senco gun that I've had for 25 years or so and a Hitachi that I've had for ~10 years. I recommend either manufacturer.
    Avoid the Bostitch gun in this range. They are sometimes described as 1/4" but they are actually narrower... something like 7/32" crown and the variety of staple materials is not available for those guns. I have nothing bad to say about the Bostitch tool, but you are limited to their staples. The 1/4" crown staples are made by many manufacturers.

My guns are air powered. I doubt there are manual guns in that range. Even in the fine wire sizes manual staplers will wear you out pretty quick if you are driving thousands of staples. There may be electric powered guns.

Nailgundepot.com is a good place to shop for staplers
    Fastenerusa.com has galvanized and stainless steel fasteners for a wide range of guns
    Manasquanfasteners.com specializes in stainless fasteners for both machine and hand driven applications.

2 people like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.