Small Boats for Large Folks

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by timgoz, May 17, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hello,

I'd like your thoughts on boats that meet the following criteria. Powercraft or Motorsailors.

1. Displacement hull.

2. Enclosed wheelhouse.

3. Inboard diesel propulsion.

4. Two single berths/ settees at least 7' long. Possibly settees with 1' pullout extension(s).

5. 6'4" headroom in wheelhouse & galley.

6. Preferably steel construction with plans available for home build.

I know steel craft in the under 30' range are scarce. Any leads would be appreciated. I'm thinking of 24'-28' LOA.

Thanks.

Tim

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ask windvang here, he and I are working on my new build and he,s in Holland,
    very easy to deal with and qualified
    I like the idea you are talking of,
    80bhp Deere Engine, nice, let me know when you are finished, we can go fishing!
    I built a boat once for some very tall men, trailer boat, somewhere in my gallery, BUT I would think abt alloy:)) steel!! yuk, dirty heavy

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

This is something he shared, just to give you an idea, but can design quickly anything you want Can dxf for cutting, so easy!!

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      167 KB
      Views:
  4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Are you speaking of Corten? I plan on doing most of the welding myself, so I like the workability of reg. mild steel. Does the alloy you speak of weld without alot of problems?

John Deere or a Lugger (made in Alaska on J. Deere block).

I must confess, I've heard good things about your gallery, but have not checked it out. Now that I've read enough of your posts to see you are into metal boats, I think I'll take a look.

Steel has the advantage of allowing a multidude of interiour arrangements, so drawn up interiour plans are not critical, as long as I can get the berth length.

Thanks LJ

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

LazyJack,

Just realized you meant aluminum when you said alloy. Thought you said alloy steel.

Checked your gallery. Nice. I like the deep entry trailer boat. Whats her basic specs?

Tim

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

tim I,m talking alluminium alloy, I used to build steel, but then I woke up, now al al is cheaper than steel, thanks to China, esp with smaller boast where you use the same thickness When I say cheaper, the metal goes 2-3 times as far for the weight, you dont need to paint or blast, and its very very fast to cut and weld
    needed
    bandsaw
    hand(skill type, like hitachi or aeg 8 inch) meataxe, (small saw on small grinder), to chase welds, and prep welds, welding plant, its so much less messy, for instance when you have a steel hull, you have it nicely painted and then Whoops you need to drill a hole,, and then you have a pile of rusty shavings on the plate,
    yes you need MUCH more experience to weld al al , because a weak weld is just that, but even a poorly welded boat will hand together in Steel, With Corten you will need also could welding skill and good gear cos you will be using low hydrogen welding rods and they are not really for amatuer welders or small low open circuit welding machines .Also, forming corten is not easy, its so incredibly high ten

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I plan to either take (another) welding course, had a simple one in 1990, or enlist the training help of some welding friends. Probably I will offer labor in exchange as they are not close friends. If I would go with aluminum this training would be real crucial.

Corten was never really considered as I have heard, as you said, about it being tricky to weld.

Aluminum does have a he.. of alot of advantages. From the abuse my 15' skiff, with it's thin skin, was put through, and survived, on the volcanic rock of SE Alaska, I know how tough it is.

Did like the bow on view of the red boat from gallery.

Tim

8. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hey LazyJack,

Out of curiousity, what time is it now down there?

TGoz

9. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Tim,

Try drooling over the boats here, and here.

Enjoy.

Leo

P.S. for world times, go here.

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

1122, as you can see I,M BORED TO BITS, I,m trying learn CAD, IMPOSSIBLE for me, I built the red boat for a very keen gamefisherman, has a 230 volvo diesel, , became a friend, just died, young, yes the bow has a very good entry the entry and bottom of your boat is the most important thing Slamming must be avoided because its dwonright unpleasent, and its hard on the boat When the boat lands it must sort of feel as though the landing is cushioned Take a look at Don Sheads power yachts, they had fine entrys a boat should not have to slow its passage because of slamming, of coarse I,m not talking of extreme conditions

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks Leo,

Did not get to far with the Dutch site, but was able to navigate the other that included English for us single tongued people.

I assume both were from the Netherlands?

They sure know how to work steel! Drool is right. :)

All the construction photos could be very valuable when planning and troubleshooting.

Take care.

Tim

12. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Yep - Dutch folks sure build pretty boats. Just click around as there are lots of pretty pictures to be seen. Look up a free web translation service - gotta search a bit because Dutch isn't a "mainstream" European language, but they are available and just input the URL (that's the http://.... thingy) and the translation service will give a "sort of" translation. It seems that the ones I've used don't do too good with nautical terms. But good-e-nuff to get a general idea of what they are try to tell the reader.

Best,

Leo

1 person likes this.
  13. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Fishing!!!

Fishing, a magic word to me :)

The older I get, the more I seem to go. Not enough out of a boat where I would rather be. To paraphrase Water Rat from the Wind in the Willows.

"Ther is nothing, absolutely nothing, even half so much fun, as simply messing around in boats"

Add fish to the equation and you really got something. I do put 99%+ back.

Hope to be living in SE Alaska after boat completion. Probably truck it to Washington state and then run up the inside passage to AK. Could barge it right to water I am familiar with as an alternative.

If you can get up there (assuming my "plans" go well) I promise we'll do some seriuos fishing. Crab, shrimp, berries, and good spring water could combine with salmon or halibut for a real good feed. Beer to follow.

TGoz

14. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

One more point on fishing or "fishin" as we say.

Once had a lady refer to it as a sport.

I said it is not a sport but "a skilled pastime & if pursued correctely, a passion"

Tim

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Beer or Bears?
    Chris was keenly into tagging but he smoked his Striped marlin, feed the whole street, you kae a lot of friends buuilding boats, but not much of the folding stuff Well where do you live now?
    by way if you have doubts abt al al go www.alloyyachts.co.nz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.