small boat opinions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JLIMA, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Homefront

Homefront Junior Member

Looks better. :)

I'd sweeten the shear, and tweak the house, but you're off to a good start.

Maybe you could build a scale model?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think that the fallacy is in designing a hull with a waterline and expecting the boat to float on that line. The volume of water displaced has to equal the weight of the materials in the boat. If you need to add a lot of ballast to get it to its lines, either the beam is to great or the depth too much.

3. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I don't want her to sit on her water line i want her to sit a little higher so there is room to load her with all my crap not to mention the effects of adding 900# of quahogs as i will undoubtedly be doing.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

The need for a "proper" design or designer you still do´nt see?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Then you need to desing a light and loaded waterlines. When there is such a difference you will need to figure out stability for both conditions.

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

JLIMA,

I think the first design was OK but 20 to 25 hp and FD speeds of 6.5 to 7 knots would be the result. Batteries fuel and other heavy gear kept amidships would make her a balanced boat. The Albin 25 would be a very comparable boat except for the very soft chines. Go to atkinboatplans.com. Tang and Hope are excellent V bottom designs (especially Tang) and Wader, Marigold and Little Effort are flat bottomed. Both John and William Atkin are know for their excellent flat bottomed boats.

Easy Rider

7. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well, not entirely mild.

Will these pics do?

http://dngoodchild.com/7066.htm

8. Homefront

Homefront Junior Member

Guys, the man wants to do this himself.
    I'm suggesting he build a large scale model to actually put in the water and test. He obviously has an imagination and an open mind to try this.

9. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Thanks Bill those are more or less what i was talking about, but the exact ones there's 6 of them are across the harbor in Fairhaven. I just need to get off my *** and go take a pic of them. Those are pretty close though and are probably as close as can be found on the web.
    About the scale model I intended to do a scale model before i build anything ... I always do one before i build anything other than a piece of furniture. Also this isn't the first boat I've built, just the first one i designed.

10. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

There are a ton of stock designs that would fit the bill , can be bought cheaply and save you alot of aggravation . If you want to design it yourself , you can do that to , but I think you have a long way to go .

It might help if you went to all the common stock designer sites , Like Glen L,
    clark craft , ect . They are all listed by our host . Then find all the models you like and make a list with all the specs for each boat . Take your time
    with it . Now go back to freeships with that info and compare it to what you have drawn . Next make many drawings on freeship all different but similar ,
    20 Iterations would be a good start . Also go tho boat yards and measure boats similar to the one you want . Soon you will start to have a feel for it .
    Dont forget to stop by the library and get every boat book the have and read them . That is just my 2cents . Have fun .

Frank

11. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Well, frank i thank you for your input, but I've already done alot of what you suggested. I was the most intrigued by the Jiffy V 22, and the C-Dorys, I'm a marine mechanic over at the Fairhaven Ship Yard. Having built 3 boats before it's just something i want to try and see how i do. I actually am currently farting around at another idea as well after i fiddle it a little more i'll post it here.

12. frank smith

Oh , bthw , 900 lb of clams is no big deal with the boat you want .
    You show a hard chine boat so I m thinking plywood , say about 7'6" beam at water line for a start reducing to 7' or so at the stern . Deadrize at stern 10-12
    degrees increasing to say 18 the bow .

13. frank smith

I like the jiffy V22 , very well thought out plan .

14. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

Here is the other idea I'm also considering but i haven't gone into any real detail on it yet. She's just a simple boat with a small pilot house and little else just something to get out of the weather. Low for easy boarding from a small boat and hauling my pots, with lots of deck aft of the house. But like I said it's just an alternative idea I'm pondering.

Attached Files:

15. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

I actually just brought a Jiffyv in from Cuttyhunk around June, they handle wonderful

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.