Another hull design question

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by RWD, Nov 30, 2007.

1. RWD

RWD RWD

New to the forum, but have been lurking for a while and learned a great deal.

My quest is for drawings of a simple plywood epoxy hull approx. 14 X 50 to be used as a liveaboard, on river. I really like the Mark V 39 low profile design, but need a semi V hull tapering to flat bottom.
    The idea is a very reasonably priced boat to build, and very low operational cost.(maybe elec. motors, or twin 50 hp 4 stroke) I like the low profile designs (mark v 39) but also like the safety aspect of a houseboat type hull that has seperate compartments bulkheaded off for flotation.
    Is it possible to have a semi V sharpie design to help with pounding in moderate seas?
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Any existing designs that may be what I am looking for?
    THANKS

2. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

"need a semi V hull tapering to flat bottom." "Is it possible to have a semi V sharpie design to help with pounding in moderate seas?"

Yes.

3. Wayne Grabow

You have given us length and beam; what is the estimated displacement? Are there any draft limitations? Looking for a long, fine entry, or a fuller bow? Anticipated speed range of 10-15 mph about right? Simple plywood hull indicates that a developable shape may be preferred? The Mark V 39 has a nice look. I didn't realize that the bottom was flat all the way forward. I've seen a few other hulls of similar form mentioned on this forum, but can't remember any names right now. Are you looking at existing designs only? It shouldn't be too difficult to put some "V" into a sharpie bottom.

4. Wayne Grabow

Have you looked at the Parker Marine Enterprises Commuter 50 or any other of Reul Parker's Commuter series?

5. RWD

RWD RWD

Wayne, I saw the "Commuter 50" and I am not sure if it has a semi v or just a straight sharpie hull design. Also would have to redesign the transom for outboard motors.
    Looking for a fuller bow to utilize front deck area more. Yes it would need to be a developable bow and looking for shallow draft.(12")
    Probably just need a designer interested in doing the hull design because I have not found any stock plans that fill my needs.

6. Wayne Grabow

For me, I don't build anything that I can't park in my garage, but I design everything that I build and like to play with developable design concepts. Once I built a 20 1/2 foot sharpie with a typical sharpie bottom. Afterwards, I wondered how it would have performed with a semi V bottom and realized that it would have been relatively easy to modify the bottom; so I know it can be done. A larger size is just a matter of scale. Perhaps Mark V or Reul Parker would be willing to modify their designs. Keep us posted on what you decide. Calculating a fair bottom shape is not too difficult, but you need much more than that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.