Fender Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by harisankar, May 22, 2009.

1. harisankar

harisankar Junior Member

Dear All,

I need to design a Fender for a 65 ton bollard pull pusher TUG.

Can somebody help me by suggesting the references or guide lines or something of that sort.

2. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Take a look at Viking and Softloop fendering. They're in the right of it.

Basically it's just sections of old tires sandwiched between steel plates and welded on.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

when you say "design"...do you mean to calculated a rough load/impact then selected a fender to suit said load that will transfer the energy....or,.....do you mean to just draw one up that 'looks' ok, like others on the market?

4. harisankar

harisankar Junior Member

Dear Adhoic,eponodyne
    thanks for your replies

By design I mean to be able to under stand the general physics behind the design of fenders.
    By Adhocs reply, I now have a direction to look forward to.I dont want to just draw one that just looks okay.

I want to refer to somekind of technical paper and some how make an idea of the impact load and a method to select the fender .That is surely the direction i want to look forward to.

Sorry for the late reply coz i was travelling and did not check emails

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Ok, in that case then, a good "basic" assumption is that the vessel (generalising since i don't know anything about the boat nor its duty etc) is to take 0.25g as a load over 1 frame bay. This load must be absorbed by the fender and hence transferred into the hull.

So establish the load and hence the energy and then select a fender, from manufacturers data sheets that satisfies the design intent. It is not difficult, but just requires 'leg work'.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.