looking for a kayak design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Grizz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Grizz

Grizz Junior Member

Howdy Sailers

I'm new here and hope someone can help me find a kayak design.

In Volume 47 of MotorBoating's Ideal Series there is the plan of a kayak I built many years ago. If anyone has those plans I would greatly appreciate obtaining a copy. That book is not available via interlibrary loan in my area, and has been out of print for a long time. I have volumes 16, 20, and 40 if someone wants to trade plans.

Thanks,

Grizz

2. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

3. Grizz

Grizz Junior Member

thanks for the link. I'm looking for that specific kayak. Trying to recapture a memory from my past I suppose.

nice clock BTW... Grizz

4. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

5. Grizz

Grizz Junior Member

[​IMG]

This is the kayak I want to replace. It was a fantastic boat. Could carry two adults. Skinny ones. Could carry fifteen gallons of water to my winter cabin, and haul deer home for the hungry. So, if someone can share the plans, I believe on page 210 of Volume 47 of the Ideal Series I will be very happy. Thanks, fair winds, and safe harbors...

Grizz

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

It looks like it was fabric?

Was it foldable as well ? It reminds me of a Danish 'FolBoat' that a friend of mine used to own. Very roomy and good freeboard.

7. Grizz

Grizz Junior Member

It does resemble a FolBoat, but it isn't a folder. That's sailcloth left over from the great days of sail that I found in San Francisco. Too heavy. I used a very heavy lagging compound to waterproof it. When I build the new version I will use dacron and light weight waterproofing. There are SOF kayaks now that weigh under thirty pounds and are just as tough as that one was.

Thanks for the comments. Still hoping someone who owns that book will discover the thread.

Grizz

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

There are a number of web sites that have old plans like these scanned and posted. Do a good search for old boat plans. Even if you do not find exactly the same kayak design, you could get one similar and just alter it based on your memory. With skin-on-frame design it is easy to alter it to be longer or shorter, wider or narrower, etc.

I have built seven of them over the last 30 years plus, some actually followed the plans, most were my own design (or alterations to existing designs). Now the fabric of choice is either 9 oz or 12 oz nylon, with oil based polyurethane floor finish as a sealer. Any quality oil based paint will also work. Best prices for raw nylon or poleyester fabric is George Dyson & Co of Bellingham WA.

All of mine weighed around 20 pounds total.

9. Grizz

Grizz Junior Member

Thanks Petros

I got a copy of the plans and am laying out the frames now, it's plywood frames with cedar stringers. I think I used doug fir last time. I'm actually altering the bottom a little more to my liking, more swede form and finer ends, but same building style. Thanks for the source on the covering, that's good to know.

Grizz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.