Small area stringer repair.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 10571z, Feb 8, 2016.

1. 10571z

10571z Previous Member

I have an old Ski Supreme which when pulling the fuel tank out saw some de laminated fiberglass and the start of some rot. It hasn't traveled to far up the boat after checking the rest.

I can't afford a full stringer replacement at the moment (in a a couple of years id be happy to). I have it drying out and i need a solution to get it back on the water if possible. Can i simply (once dried) fiberglass over the top and then inject a good expoxy into it? should i cut out a small section and do it? Could i make a bit of timber to replace the rotten section and laminate it to the solid part of the stringer (im a carpenter)

Im simply looking for a couple of year fix before doing the job 100%. As if goes furter up the stringer it get lower and lower before stopping.

Also any tips to dry it out would be good. Its hot here in Australia at the moment which would help.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 10571z

10571z Previous Member

3. 10571z

10571z Previous Member

By the area around the engine is fine!

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

RotDoctor is a rebadged product and not worth the ink, printed on the label.

Cut away the rot and scab in a repair piece, using epoxy to bond it down. Repair the delamination on the tabbing and since you don't really have room for a proper length scarf, double up this area (both sides of the stringer)with more lumber or plywood, bonding and tabbing this in, around the repaired area and to the hull shell, partitions and bulkheads they may touch.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There seems to be enough space to sister a 3/4" length of plywood along the repair. That should help keep the structural integrity.

6. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Did that piece of lumber already break? It looks like maybe it pulled up and away from the bottom of the boat, and made a gap that's visible in the lower left corner.

7. 10571z

10571z Previous Member

Thanks for the replies. I have taken to my boat builder/fiberglasser who says he can repair it no worries and check over the rest of the boat.

That gap at the back is to allow water to drain into the centre. Wasn't sealed very well! So im guessing thats where water has been getting in.