Rotomolded sailboat concept-grad project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tuckerpiontek, Feb 4, 2008.

1. tuckerpiontek

tuckerpiontek Tucker P

Hey all, just joined the website, Iam an Industrial Design student working on my grad project- a rotomolded daysailor. The innovation in the project is to design integrated ammenities that can be used to create a tent or camper-like enviorment on the daysailor. I am still in the research and conceptual phase and would greatly appreciate the input on the survey that I have developed to detiremine the interest in the concept. Any additional comments are appreciated.

Survey Questions

1. How much would you pay for a recreational daysailor?( non-racer)
    2. How much would you pay for a weekender sailing cruiser? (think catalina 22)
    3. how much would you pay for a daysailor with overnight/ weekend ammenities?
    4. What aspects of the average daysailor would you change?
    5. If you could add an ammenity to a daysailor, what would it be?
    6. What would you bring with you if you could use your daysailor as a camper/ tent?
    7. Any suggestions/ comments?

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

That's going to take one hell of a big mold! The mold is going to cost a lot. How many are you planning to sell to recover costs? Plus that the oven you put the mold in is going to be even bigger and more expensive. The only way to recover cost on this kind of product is volume. So you better have a production plan, and a marketing plan.

3. tuckerpiontek

tuckerpiontek Tucker P

The hull and deck size isn't going to be a whole lot bigger than the vangaurd PICO, which is 12 feet long, my concept is probably around 15 or so. Also, i am not building any type of cabin or structural additions to the boat, the camper ammentiies will all be softgoods. So i don't see the manufacturing being too much more of a cost than that of the PICO or Hobiecat's BRAVO.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.