Small aft sail?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ted655, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

What is the proper name of the small aft sail set when hove to, in a storm?
    It may sound funny, but I want to rig one to keep my 42' motor boat pointed into the wind during high winds. I'd like some talk, advice & fesign poibters on this. Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The riding sail or steadying sail was often seen on passagemakers and larger power craft, but has falling victim to styling dictates of modern marketing.

They can be used at anchor to keep your head up so the boat doesn't march around it's hook and while underway to ease rolling conditions, as well as during a hefty blow.

3. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

:) Yeah, "steading sail, Thanks. That is what I want for my house boat, keeping it into the wind when moored. Is there a design feature to one? Do I just plant a short mast up against the rear cabin ,add a boom and make a right triangle tarp? Seems nothing is ever that easy.:) Put pad eyes on the outer corners of the rear deck to hold the boom and I'm done? Thanks.

4. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

The "stern" sail can be smaller because it has more leverage? Is there a reason the sail is located on the cabin, other than style?

Attached Files:

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Converting to a motorised sailer ? Be a bonus if the sail could have more uses... just a thought.

6. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Not converting, just adding. I did notive the cabin version looked rigged to also sail the boat. My house boat has no keel to speak of. Is there a advantage for ME to go to rge effort of a cabin version?

Attached Files:

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Google "Sjark" It's Norwegian fishing boat, and 99% of the sea going sjarks got one. It's usually rigged on a ss mast/boom rig. No other adjustment except sail up/down. Excellent against rolling too..

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I didn't know you had a house built on it :D

To be able to sail the house I mean boat :D my female instinct tells me the sailing area should be larger than the house's I mean boat's :D windy surface.

Could be done if a mast can be placed where it would be carried by the structure. Running you could use a kite to tow you around. One of the threads have some stuff on it... Brian Eiland is it ?
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20319&highlight=brian eiland

9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well, if you'r going to put a small sail up I guess it can stand up anywhere. If you have something larger in mind they are heavy and large sails add a lot to pushing the mast down.

11. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Well, 30' sjark has aft sail about 6m2. Mast is free standing 3'' steel tube sometimes with a couple of 90deg curves (if bolted to other side) or with a wishbone from both of them. The overall loads aren't as heave as with traditional sails, bcs these don't do anything else except turn the stern down. Sail itself reaching out like Wind-vane, actually that's more precise to call it rudderles wind-vane

12. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

13. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Traditionally a small sail set aft of the wheel or tiller on a sailing boat was called a SPANKER.

K9

14. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

15. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Thats the mast its set on. The sail is a spanker.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.