Proper Engine Alignment

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by MadMallard, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MadMallard

MadMallard Junior Member

I have raised up my engine (not fully removed) to repair the collapsed motor mounts due to wood rot. I have fully removed from both sides all the glass and rotton wood. I plan to use an epoxied mahogany lamiinate to replace the motor mounts directly under the glass beneath the motor mounts. Then encapsulate everything in cloth, epoxy and plywood for stability and strength. I plan to use through bolts with washers and locknuts to remount the motor. My concerns is how do I realign the motor - use the Merc engine alignment tool and proceed from there? Use a spirit level for side to side alignment before anything else? I will try and get the new structure with in a hair of where the old level was but I am still concerned. Any thoughts, tips, links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have never seen anywone repair mounts without removing the engine. It makes it much more difficult. You can use the old mounts as guides. Even if the wood is rotted, there shuld be enough left of the fiberglass to show the old position. The engine gets aligned with the tool alone. Make sure the rear mounts are in good condition or it will be impossible to align.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

shaft drive? or z drive?
    two types odf alignment, parrellel and angular, there are two ways, on the coupling, by dial indicator or feeler gauge, give me the drive and I ,ll help you

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.