Finding a place to work on a boat.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by HCB66, Aug 29, 2018.

1. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I'm looking to get an old fiberglass sailboat in southern California. I'll need a place to work on the boat if I get it , probably for a year or two or longer depending on what shape it's in, maybe less if I'm lucky. How does one go about finding a place to keep a project boat and work on it so they can launch it when ready?

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

A boat yard is the usual answer.

3. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I live in New York. When I decided to do a restoration some years ago I did it at a small local yacht club. This was a "working man's club", not some place with million dollar boats where all the owners rely on professionals to do their work. While I was doing the restoration I just stored my boat in the club's yard. I wasn't a member at that time, just paid them storage charges. The club had electricity and water available in the yard, restrooms, dumpsters for trash. All I had to do was keep my area reasonably neat (grass cut, trash cleaned up) and pay my storage bill. I built an A-frame so I could work under cover. When I finished one of the senior members sponsored me for membership. This might be an option for you, just shop around for a good fit.

4. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

im in vista, nice boatyard on 1/2 acre. ill be splashing my project next november if you can wait a bit. pm for etails

5. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

I don't currently have a boat to work on, I'm just trying to get things squared away before it's needed. I couldn't find a way to PM you on here.

6. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

understand. my place will be available end of next year so that gives you some time. 20x85 covered, steel 6-pad cradle, likely some materials available. let me know...

HCB66 likes this.
  7. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

OK thanks is this Vista Ca? I've never been there, still trying to get stuff organized with the guys I'm working with on this. We might be trying to crowd source a work boat that can be taken out quite a ways. Not sure yet, tons of studying to do.

8. robwilk37

robwilk37 Senior Member

yes, north county san diego. the problem youll run into in this part of the world is there are very few (read "expensive") do-it-yourself boatyards here. so the best is to find some land in the county for your project. this place is perfect... 4-bed house, complete boatyard, close to town/coast etc. and distant neighbors. im going to miss it when im gone.

9. HCB66

HCB66 Junior Member

Figures it would be like that, I have a place far inland to work I guess I just need a launch site. I'm closest to So Cal is the thing.