Sliding Hatch / Sunroof construction

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mat-C, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Sliding hatches or 'sinroofs' are are all the rage these days in even the smallest of hardtops powerboats. Can anyone point me towards some construction detail of a typical one? Thanks

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Most any book on wooden boats will show a good style sliding hatch, for lifting hatches the Maurice Griffiths double coaming is very leak prof and not hard to build.

With a BIG hatch the scantlings will need to be very robust. 2 or more folks may stand on it at the same time.

We have gotten 3/4 lexan from bus side window takeouts that were slightly scratched, at great prices.

FF

3. Mat-C

Mat-C Senior Member

Thanks Fred, yes I have a number of books that detail typical, raised profile, sliding companionway hatches, but none that quite fit what I'm looking for: more of a large (preferably flush, but not absolutley necessary), 'sunroof' like those seen on the hardtop sports cruisers around these days - particularly the European boats. I know they range from the very elaborate multi-panel electric jobbies, to the quite simple hand operated ones... it's the latter that I'm looking for.
    Taylor, Webasto and a few others have them commercially available, but not really in the sizes that I was thinking of.....
    As always, any help greatly appreciated....

4. 18htan

18htan New Member

I know, I am digging up an old thread.

But this is something I am seriously interested in.

Currently looking for some ideas on how to build a sunroof for my timber boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.