Parlier's Kite Powered Planing Cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Attached Files:

2. Spiv

Spiv Ancient Mariner

Great video!
    That Hua Rari is not going to pichpole in a hurry :D

Going back in time to when we were struggling with the "new" invention, the Spinnakers, make me wander: "Could this be the propulsion of the future?"

3. Capn Mud

Capn Mud Junior Member

Video

The "sail trimmer" - the guy controlling the kite - looks most uncomfortable most of the time - need a better arrangement for him.

I have seen the kite boarders reaching back and forth - but how high can one point with a kite?

4. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Not very. About like a well sailed square rigger. :)

5. Capn Mud

Capn Mud Junior Member

Propulsion of the future??

So...... still gonna need something like the "standard" rigs for going to windward right?

So what does a kite offer that a spinnaker doesn't?

Possibly larger thrust for less material by getting it up higher above the water where the wind is stronger.....

Anything else?

6. Bruce Woods

Bruce Woods Senior Member

Have they got the kite retrieval systems sorted yet, or is the use of a kite by short handed cruising boats in light weather going to lead to lots of grief in the lulls. ie when the whole lot ends up in the water?

Regards

7. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

The leading edge of those kites is inflatable, so they float. They're a hassle to relaunch (at least it is for me) but... the whole point is that the kite is controllable.

Dammit, Parlier beat me to it! I've got sketches in a drawer somewhere that look just an awful lot like what he built! My control system is better, though :p

8. Capn Mud

Capn Mud Junior Member

What goes around

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20319

I got this stuff from another Forum on this site above...

http://kiteforsail.com/
    In terms of going to windward 50 degrees to true wind aint too bad - I dont think the old squareriggers quite achieved that did they?

9. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Virtually zero rig stress, as it is flown from the deck; the hull is being lifted, reducing wetted surface; there is no heeling, as there is from a spinny; kite powered boats are faster than spinnaker equipped craft; can easily adjust pull by moving the kite through the power window; wind is not just stronger up high, it is also more steady.

Chris

10. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

11. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Safety. A kite does not produce heeling moments, since it's connected to the deck. So it's not going to capsize the boat the way a spinnaker will.

I have an Outleader kite for my boat to use as a heavy-air spinnaker. It pulls from the bows and a point to leeward and aft, so not only does it not tend to capsize the boat, it actually lifts the bows. So far, I've only flown it in light winds, and not at all, yet, on my new boat. But I'm looking forward to getting it rigged up and crew trained to fly it in demanding conditions.

The big weakness of a multihull is diagonal stability downwind. Especially for trimarans. The problem is the downwind trap, where things are OK as long as you're going fast enough that the apparent wind is reduced compared to the true wind. Then something happens - overpowered in a gust, or you stuff the bow in a wave, and the boat slows down. Then the apparent wind increases at the very worst time. With a spinnaker, peak performance occurs when you're on the edge of disaster. That's not the case with a kite.

The fact that a kite doesn't need a tall mast also makes it a good jury-rig, as was shown when the Newick Traveler 50, Alacrity, lost her rig in St Maarten and sailed all the way home under an Outleader kite:

Performance: We don't know what the limiting factors are for how much kite you can carry with a given size boat. Obviously, equipment breakage is a factor. As is keeping the boat in the water and not letting it be lifted completely in the air. But in between...

12. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

I'm guessing a velcro patch, or tying it together with breakable yarn stoppers might be a help in launching.

Or a good big drogue off the stern.

13. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

I have a 70 m2 one. For launching in light winds, I reverse the engines, get the kite flying and then slowly lower the revs down to idling and neutral.

I use bungees mounted like barber haulers, to soak up wave motion when in choppy waters.

Move the attachment points aft for wind from the sides.

I find them easier to launch without the mainsail up, no turbulence...

Regards

Alan

14. Spiv

Spiv Ancient Mariner

Hi Alan,
    can you tell us what is the range of wind speeds and angles that your kite can be used please?

15. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Hi Stefano,

Wind speed from around 5 knots and the maximum I have tried is a bit over 20 knots, but I didn't launch at over 20, it was around 16 and wind increased to around 22-24.

I am considering using some reels for launching in strong winds, as it's tough on the hands even with gloves. Line diameter is stripped 6mm so around 4 mm!

We did play with a small 25 m2 one in 25-30 knots, and it worked well.

Wind angles: Aft of the beam only, I doubt that it will work even on the beam, but haven't tried, as I use the gennaker or Code 0 instead.

If i decide to get one for my new 49 footer, i would go for at least 120m2. Once it's up and flying, and the boat is moving, the loads on the ropes are low.

With my present 5 ton cat and the 70m2 kitesail, the pull at 16 knots is less than 20 kgs.

I fly it about 25- 30 meters out, so maybe 5-10 meters above the mast and forward of the boat. I have 50m lines.

Retrieving is actually easy with a guy on each of the 2 middle ropes. Let go the side lines and pull in fast, the sail collapses and is just like a big flag.

I have a small block that i pull up with the spinnaker halyard for the top line.

Downwind more or less directly I attach the 3 guy lines at the front of the boat. For wind closer on the beam I move them aft, to just in front of the mast, otherwise you can't steer the boat. Try and keep the same spacing between the lines to keep the sail open, so the leeward line is aft of the mast and the windward one nearer the winward bow.
    At the front they create a nice lift to the bows.

I will try and take some pictures this year.

Regards

Alan

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.