Slickest folder ever

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by garydierking, Jan 14, 2012.

1. DIY Tri Guy

DIY Tri Guy Junior Member

Hey, the Smoot arm / brace / triangle. I knida like it. Like the Hoyt boom. Oh, well. Maybe not... In any case, I'll be adding lots of detail photos to my web site soon.

Any interest in starting some kind of annual multihuller get-together / meetup? Florida would certainly be a great place, and we could all share ideas, see our boats, hang out, sail, have a few beers...you know.

- Frank

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

It's nearest relative would be a "tabernacle" or a sort of "retracting tabernacle" but it is also something of a "mast step" or sort of a "Lazy Mast Step" so I came up with the "Lazy Step" or the "Smoot Lazy Step" Or maybe the "Lazy Smoot Step" suits you better ;?)

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Smooter would be the proper credit giving, naval sounding, easy to remember term.
    Somebody start using one of these and we'll see what becomes most used.

One good thing about Smooter is it sounds like there is some vague sexual connotation, which is good for sailors.

Next minimally important discussion: Is Franks sail a Lateen rig or what. Frank says no to lateen, but the only real difference from some current mid east boats is their fixed central mast verses Franks fwd mounted, A-frame, pivoting mast.

Should we call it a Frateen? Or is it just a vertically challange windsurfer, or is it an inovative Crab Claw with no claw?

Looking forward to the pictures, if I were anal I would ask "how soon is soon?" but I won't do that (for once).

Frank I know you told me you were not into white knuckle sailing anymore, but could we stand the mast up a little and make your boat a schooner? Did you make the sail yourself?

4. DIY Tri Guy

Gotta love those vague sexual connections... I actually was a sailor once, in Uncle Sam't Canoe Club, as we used to call it.

The sail is definitely not a lateen. It's a crab claw derrivative, but has battens -- radial ones, for easy fan-folding. It's very loosely based on Vietnamese sail I once saw. And instead of having spars at are almost identical, like a lateen or true crab claw would have, this sail actually has a mast and boom. On top of that, most lateens and crab claws are cut hollow at the leach. This has a very pronounced roach.)

I promise, the pix are on the way up to my web site. I have uploaded them to my computer and prettied them up. Now I just need to be willing to deal with FrontPage again.

Yes, I did make the sail -- from a $24 while polytarp I got at the local flea market. The sail was actually supposed to be a bit bigger, but 90 sq ft was all I could get out of that tarp. I may have one professionally made (lots of sailmakers hereabouts) because it is so well behaved. Tacking is simple and painless, and jibing is 100% drama-free. Really, this little sail has exceeded my expectations -- amazing for such a home-brew concoction.

The mast will go up to about 78 degrees, which is where I like to sail it. The boat is balanced there, as the COE is in just the right place. I don't want it any more vertical because the rake is part of what makes it perform so well (and look kinda cool :)

I do sorta like "Frateen," though... Or how about "Smoot'sl" ?) And hey, nobody was supposed to notice how lazy I really am...

- Frank

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

If connotations is your thing then its obvious, its the mast snatch ! LOL
    RR
    Oh your American, translation, mast ***** !

6. rattus

rattus SeƱor Member

No - "mast snatch" means the same here... that's a good name for the part!

Mike

7. spidennis

spidennis Chief Sawdust Sweeper

This is already happening, it's called Watertribe and the Everglades Challenge starts in early March. http://watertribe.org/

8. DIY Tri Guy

I'm already well aware of watertribe and the EC. Great organization. I was at the launch last year and may well enter one day. But what I have in mind is something different --much more casual and much less competitive. Juat a bunch of multihullers getting together for a day or two and comparing notes and boats somewhere in central Florida.

- Frank

9. spidennis

Frank,
    I'l looking forward to seeing your folding system (pics). I've been (slowly) working on a folding beach cat and I think I got what I need but it's always nice to see what others have been doing, even if it's not really what you're doing but just similar.

btw, my folding cat is destined for the UFC someday.
    I got an thread going on about it but it's a little dusty at the moment.

10. DIY Tri Guy

The new section of the web site is up! About 100 new pics, and lots of shots of the amas and mast rig. www.DIY-Tris.com I'm with you -- it's a great thing to be able to see what others are doing.

Cheers - Frank

11. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Frank,

I can't see anything new. Hope you are not having trouble. Any special directions on how to get to the new stuff?

12. spidennis

13. DIY Tri Guy

Hi - You can see a link to the new stuff in two places on the home page. One is right in the "logo box" at the top center. It says " See What's New For 2012!" (Might also need to clear you cache)

- Frank

14. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

Hi Frank

I am very very impressed,

May I ask one simple question, looks as though you are not bothering with daggerboards or centerboard. How high can you point into the wind

still very impressed
    N Peter Evans

15. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

Hi Frank, thanks a lot for sharing your great ideas and the pictures. I like the way you are building your boats.

http://www.diy-tris.com/2012/1-tort-ply-hull-1.htm
    When you want to build a hull of tortured ply, the book of Gougeon brothers on boat construction is a great help. In my old edition chapter 24 (page 217 ff, Developing Compounded Shaped Hulls with Sheet Plywood) describes the whole process.
    In my opinion it is not possible to torture the ply around the rigid structure of two bulkheads in the middle. You can try what you plan with aircraft ply (birch) on a small model.

I personally like to work with bendable Plywood. It is a lot easier to torture and you can get a better curvature. We can get it here only with 4,5mm. May be you can get 3mm in Florida.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.