Sleeving a mast

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by jedkins, Jul 31, 2006.

1. jedkins

jedkins Junior Member

Hi , Can anyone tell me the best way to sleeve a mast.? Mast in question is a Hobie 16. The sleeve could either go about 4 feet from the mast base or about 4 feet from the masthead. Also where is the most stress on a mast,
    near the bottom or the top? Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What do you mean by sleeving? Is it broken?

3. frosh

frosh Senior Member

How much for a new one?

You have previously posted the same question. It seems that you were unable to do or not happy with the two different solutions offered.
    I doubt that you will receive a better solution to fix the old broken one than what you have already.
    This leaves you with the only other option, replace the broken mast with a new one. Otherwise buy an old Hobie 16 with a good mast and build the boat up using the best parts of each cat.

4. SAE140

SAE140 Guest

For such a small section mast - unless you're going for an external sleeve, I wouldn't bother. I'd be inclined to make a solid wooden plug that would fit snugly into the existing sections - about 18" long (9" inserted into each half). Coat the wood with epoxy *before* inserting it, to ensure that it's waterproof and will not swell in service. Invert the mast so that the repair is at the top.

From your previous post, you mention that you only need 2 feet or so from the break ? In that case, consider making up a wooden tip for the mast, along the same lines as above.

Colin

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.