Decision Matrix to help with design spiral

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gonzo, Jan 12, 2024.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A decision matrix is a tool that allows to quantify different elements of a design. To start with, each element is given a percentage of the total value within the design. This is a decimal and all the values added have a value of 1 and are called "weight". The weights are a combination of subjective values and constraints. I include an example on a comparison between solar panels and three different wind chargers. In this case noise is 0.2 (20%) of the total. In an isolated location it might be 0.0 and in a location with noise regulation 0.7. Personal preferences are also an influence. The matrix allows for comparison of diverse solutions to a problem, with all of them judged by the same standards.
    upload_2024-1-12_10-18-39.png

bajansailor and DogCavalry like this.
  2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

A good way of summarising a complex problem.
    I was looking for an element called Performance eg Output, but I suppose the 2 Efficiency lines could encapsulate that somehow.

3. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is usually in Excel. You can add as many rows or columns as needed.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Seems like they are only interested in electronics. I would put a spare anchor much higher in the list.

6. C. Dog

C. Dog Senior Member

I am not sure if it is within the responsibilities of a boat management computer to deploy a secondary anchor, though I guess there could be automatic systems designed for controlling an anchor winch.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.