Small quay punt lines.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by frank smith, Feb 14, 2014.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

I am looking for lines for a small Quay Punt, 16 feet long. I am not sure if that is
    even what it would be called at the length, but that kind of boat is what I am interested in. Any leads would be appreciated. I am basically trying to get a feel for type and its shape.

F

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Are you talking about something other then the Falmouth cutters of this name, like Curlew?

3. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

dixon kemp

4. frank smith

Yes, a small Falmouth cutter, exactly.

5. frank smith

Thanks ,I'll check him out.

6. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

7. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

Might be tricky to scale a deep keel Falmouth Quay Punt down to 16ft LOD. The hull form of the Quay Punts was quite different to that of the traditional gaff rigged Falmouth Working Boat cutters (a type I first learned to sail on back in the early seventies).

The gaff cutter rigged working boats had a shallower draft and had a wider beam than the Quay Punts, so they could carry a massive amount of sail to give them the power to dredge in light airs within Falmouth Roads. Their rig was also designed to be handled by a man and boy, even though it might be around 1000 square feet in racing trim during the summer, it could be scandalised when dredging to keep the dredge at the right depth

The Quay Punts were designed to be fast, so they could get from Customs House Quay out to ships laying outside the Roads in the bay quickly, much as customs cutters do today.

Scaling down that classic wine glass hull section will be tricky, because of the non linear relationship between LWL and displacement.

8. frank smith

You are right about that. The Itchen Ferry might be a better starting point.
    It would not be a quay punt, but having some of the flavor of the typeand being lighter in disp/length.

9. scraper

scraper New Member

fishing punt

i am going to build the exact same,if you go to hannu,s boatyard.com you will find plans for the one am going to build. hope it helps you.i,am looking for the best wayto seal the wood together to keep it water proof

10. PAR

The Itchen Ferry's are also a little too big to scale down very well Frank. This boat is a very burdensome craft and would need considerable "adjustment" to make it suitable as a small, reasonably light day boat or pocket cruiser.

[​IMG]

Maybe you'd be best off, carefully defining the aesthetic aspects you desire and making these changes, to a boat more suited to your sailing needs.

11. frank smith

That would be a little to easy. Maybe a little bit of a racing punt influence.
    F

12. frank smith

The second go round. Next add bearing aft, cut away forefoot, soften bilge?
    reduce dead rise and disp.
    plan.jpg

13. PAR

Designing a whole new hull form, is a whole lot more difficult than just adding the styling elements you want, on an existing hull form. These old school, working craft hulls don't have a lot going for them, except load carrying capacity. Even the Falmouth cutters, which where known to be "fast", actually weren't very fast, but they where moderately so, with a couple of tons of fish in their holds. They went up wind fairly well, but had no bearing area aft to stand to a down wind press and their slack bilges, with huge amounts of wetted surface, kept them restricted to LWL speed limitations, which most would agree isn't especially fast, by modern standards. So, given a 15' LWL and the shape restrictions of these antique hull forms, you'll just have to live with 4 - 5 knots as it's max speed. A good beer drinking speed, but a healthy kayaker will kick your butt.

14. frank smith

PAR, I agree with all that. It is more of an exercise than any thing else. Should be easy to build in strip plank with a laminated ply backbone. Anyway I have all the hardware and rig from a 2.5 tonner I used to own, just sitting here. But considering that I live on Long Island sound, a small cat boat makes more sense, even though I would feel the need to go to a higher level of finish and construction. Beer drinking speed is ok with me, but after having an incident on a boat while drinking beer, my limit is 2 unless on dry land.

15. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

Like all working boats, these were designed specifically for the local conditions and requirements. In the case of the gaff rigged cutter working boats, they were designed for working the oyster fisheries in the Fal, and so were able to carry a lot of sail (in order to pull the dredge in light airs), lots of deck area for handling the dredge and lines and storing the catch, a hull form that gained much of its stability from a relatively wide beam (and retained a fairly shoal draft) and a rig design that could be handled by a man and boy, whilst retaining the ability to power the boat in a very wide range of wind conditions.

On the other hand, the Falmouth Quay Punts were designed to cope with the confused seas encountered off Black Rock, and to combine this basic seaworthiness with the ability to get from Customs House Quay out into the Roads and the bay beyond fairly quickly, no matter the conditions, whilst having enough carrying capacity for some stores, mail etc.

They do have nice looking classic lines, but were far from fast and efficient sailing boats when operated outside their designed operating environment. I learned to sail on an old Falmouth working boat, built in 1898, of pitch pine on oak. She was the fastest boat in the fleet for years, skippered by undoubtedly the best working boat skipper (and lifeboat coxwain) Falmouth has ever known. I was a lowly main sheet hand in racing season, yet even so realised that she was not fast and was far from being as wonderful a boat as legend would have. I remember being allowed to take the helm once, on a broad reach out of St Mawes towards the windward mark out past Black Rock. Once in the "groove" the tiller would shudder, letting you know that you were pointing pretty much as high as you could go with all sail set (around 1000 sq ft or so). Toby (the skipper's) comment to me was "she be talkin' to yer, lad", which as close as he ever got to giving any of us a compliment for our seamanship.................