Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Any Skype users out there who want to chat:?: I would love to meet/talk to some of the members of this board.
    When I am online, my Skype name is castlelight. Come on, make that call, it is free.....

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

www.jajah.com i make all my offshore calls and calls to mobiles there, you type number in the pc, it rings your phone, so you talk by phone and the concensus all over the globe, leaves skype in its wake, nothing to download either
    i have yahoo messenger , lazeyjack, and msn hearnyacht@gmail,com handle there

3. rayk

rayk Senior Member

What about an IM poll?

4. hansp77

hansp77

Jack,
    I just registered on Jajah, but I was sort of thinking that to leave Skype in its wake, it must be free. It doesn't seem to be?
    I suppose it makes sense, in that to use normal phones it must cost.
    Is it just that Jajah is a lot cheaper than going through your own phone company?

Anway, I think Skype is great. Its a little bit different getting used to talking AT your computer and wearing earphones...
    I used to use it to talk to my buddy living in Bangkok and my freinds travelling through Europe and my father in Singapore- now they are all back in Melbourne, so I haven't used it in a while. Mostly the quality of the connection was actually better than a normal phone call.
    As it reminded me I am just downloading the new update now.

My father used to use skype from his mobile overseas, which apparantly was very very cheap. You simply recharge your account like it appears you do with jajah.

I love this stuff.

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes I dont know a lot bout skype, but with jajah I take the phone outside or wherever I can get some peace, my account tells me I saved 900 USA dollars in 3 months
    i hardly use chat, yahoo used to be good, but has glitches it has some good settings, such as STEALTH where you can choose who sees you
    jaha is trying get around the fees charged by the mobile provider, fo inst, when I am travelling and on global roam, they charge me to answer the call!!, they charge(my tel co that is) me 50 cents for a sms!!

6. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

I use MSN chat. Have not tried the VOIP yet. My mate has skype, reckons it's ok.

Mychael

7. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

no can do on Jajah. According to their global map and terms, I have to pay for call from my country, whereas Skype to Skype is free....

8. rayk

rayk Senior Member

Lots of free voice calling

Wyand N,

do you use any of the easy ones?
    • Yahoo Messenger
    • Windows Messenger
    • Googletalk
    They all do voice calls, but Googletalk was the fastest to set up for me.

The pain is running so many IM apps...

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I run them all through Trillian.... using an older version right now (3.1) but it does all the important things and takes up less than half the system resources that MSN alone does otherwise. A very kick-*** new version is in alpha right now.
    I'm growing to like Skype. Cogeco over here really hacks back the bandwidth for everything but http and smtp/pop3 during peak times, but Skype is free (well, calling landlines isn't free, but it is dirt cheap). I've heard good things about its value for cruising, too- free phone calls from any powerful enough WiFi hotspot, etc.

10. rayk

rayk Senior Member

Thanks marshmat, Ill do some digging...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.