26ft Galway Hooker/Pucan to build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nickbranson, Nov 30, 2011.

1. nickbranson

nickbranson Branson Boat Design

How to build:-

Make it simple! What a good maxim! Simple unpretentious design originally built by eye in an open field in the olden days. OK, but surely easier today using a computer for the design instead of carving a half model from solid wood using a penknife?

So accurate templates can be printed on Mylar already faired! No lofting, just lay the film sheet on the wood and prick thru to mark up the shape and cut it out.

Tradtional carvel construction. All the wooden components are patterned with the exception being the planking.

Branson Boat Design usually designs steelkits but has a few traditional wood designs too.

http://www.dutch-barges.net

Attached Files:

2. ryderj

ryderj New Member

Plans

Can I get plans as a dwg or dxf?
    regards Jonathan

3. nickbranson

nickbranson Branson Boat Design

Irish Pucan, Hooker

Hi Jonathan,

Can provide the patterns as prints on drafting Film. These are long, thin drawings 1m wide by 15m long x 3 of. Also the 5 of A0 assembly drawings.

As one has not been built yet, would not consider sending DXF files. I have many years of boat design experience and feel confident about the design but nethertheless until one is completed I will hold of on that. www.dutch-barges.net

A builder who takes on the first build I will supply the patterns at cost in exchange would request feedback about the build process and performance.

Nick

Attached Files:

4. jonhwilliams

jonhwilliams New Member

interested in building a scale model

Hello Nick,

I am interested in building a scale model as I don't have the resources yet to do more than model boat-building as a hobby.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Best regards,

Jon

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.