Skiff design modifications

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by byankee, Apr 30, 2004.

1. byankee

byankee Junior Member

am a first time boat builder - or at least I will be once I start the darned thing - who is thinking about builiding the 12 foot skiff from Richard Kolin's Traditional Boatbuilding Made Easy. I like everything about the boat except that it's too short. My question is it o.k. to increase the length of the boat to 13' (an 8% increase) by spacing the stations an extra 3" apart (they're spaced at 3' apart in the original plan)? If I do this, should I also increase the width of the stations proportionally (from 48" max to 52")?

Lastly - what do I do about the sailing rig? Should I increase the sail area by 8% also?

Or - does anyone know of a similar (i.e. not plywood, stitch and glue, but old fashioned cedar and oak) but longer (14' would be ideal)design suitable for a newbie with pretty good woodworking skills ? ? ?

Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need to reloft it or the curve at the end stations won't fair in. You can stretch the middle without much fairing problems.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.