Skid "roll-bar" skeg to keel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by MMNet SEA, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MMNet SEA

MMNet SEA Junior Member

Skid "roll-bar", 1" solid steel round bar ; one end welded to the forward end of the bottom of the skeg and the other end welded to the aft end of the bottom of the keel. Purpose to protect the propeller by deflecting fishing nets, loose line, painters, logs etc.. The photo shows the attachment points.
    Questions a) What be the correct nautical term for such a piece of hardware?
    b) Where else is this design described/shown ? URLs ?
    c) Is there a reason not to add this roll- bar?

Attached Files:

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

A. The "roll bar" you're describing is a skeg. What you are calling the skeg in your photo is usually called the stern post, although I've seen that style sternpost called a rudder skeg. Another definition of a skeg (there are several definitions; traditional boat terms are like that) is a piece extending from the sternpost to the keel to support the rudder assembly and protect the prop.

B. Bruce Roberts' web site mentions exactly what you are describing. Scroll down to "Roberts Safety Skeg" for some illustrations and a link to discuss other aspects of a safety skeg.

http://www.bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/CUSTOM-440.htm

C. I think the protection benefits outweigh the possible negatives, but Roberts mentions some potential problems. I believe he is speaking of protruding skegs (as on the bottom of your stern post). Personally, I have saved money in the past when the skeg (a design similar to Roberts') on my 30' Pacemaker touched bottom instead of the prop. I think it's a good idea.

Attached Files:

3. MMNet SEA

MMNet SEA Junior Member

Skeg Roll Bar Installed

Hi Charlie,

Update , here is photo of the "Skeg Roll Bar" installed with 2nd coat of epoxy - waiting for anti-foul before returning to the water.

Attached Files:

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

That looks like a nice job. Well done!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.