N. Archs....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

The Real Kaffe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello...

I build boats - I design boats - no contracts to date but a lot of Emails and phone calls - I dismiss same as - 'I am not an insurable name' - I am not a P.Eng and I am not a N.Arch - and believe me - to a certain point - the men and women and the women who have become men and the men who have become women - who have paid their money and done the time to become same - are the real deal in this game - I envy them and I respect them...

I cannot expand upon how much I would like to take 6 years out of my life now and just go do it - but I cannot - time has passed - my train is late and it seems that it has been cancelled...

I just build boats - but I am happy...

This is my bit - for any kid out there who thinks they have the bullocks and who wants to make a go at designing boats - DO NOT FALL INTO ANY ONLINE OR CORRESPONDANCE GARBAGE - (WESTLAWN OR OTHER) - PUT IN FOR A 4 YEAR MECH P.ENG AND DO POST GRAD N.ARCH - at a proper University - due your time - fight it out - sweat it out - it is the only way in ...

Cheers...

SH.

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Sean

Sounds you've had a hard time, unfairly too..?

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The great boat designer names of the past did not graduate from college, they served an apprenticeship and learned their craft by doing. However it's a fact that Canadians more than most are obsessed by a perceived need for paper qualifications.

You're just a kid: as a certified old fart I saw a lot of college graduates come into my profession and most of them were useless at first. The smart ones realised that quicker than the others and quickly acquired the skills that the college did not provide, some never seemed to learn.

The ability to sell yourself and your ideas is the single most important thing. If you have it, perservere. It can be learned but it takes a long time, the guys who have it as a natural ability are truly blessed.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Definitely the single most important thing to get a contract. Understanding boats, their structures, hydrodynamics, propulsion and handling is too often just a lucky collateral quality.
    I understand you Sean, and sometimes feel just like you.

5. Sean Herron

All True...

Hello...

The worst of it all is - when they ask you what you want to do with yourself - you are usually of age and becoming very distracted by the smells of many women...

That and travelling the world look good when you are looking at 70 odd years ahead of you and your knees and back are still good to go...

I have literally seen monkeys hand paddling on a log - so it is true that any monkey can design and build a boat - but as you get into it - and things grow - you get interested in commercial shipping - fire boats - work tugs - passenger carrying vessels - and for same - you need that ticket to fly on your own...

I am not ranting - saving that for later tonight after some slo gins - just putting it out - that - if you have the money - spend it on yourself and your education - don't blow it on some girl that you will likely not end up married to...

I know many P.Eng and N.Archs - and I would not trust them to sign off on a dirt path through a forest - I also know many P.Eng and N.Archs that can almost see into the future...

My three cents on it...:)

Enclosed is the most perfect photo ever taken of children - by my sister - of my neice and nephew - and Breakaway 05 - as built for Brian Olgilvie (ex NHL) - and his wife Kim - and my favourite NAFI dung beetle ...

Cheers folks...

SH.

Attached Files:

6. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

i have worked with na,s with papers, worth bugger all UNLESS they can sail(for sailing boat) or know boats , for power I could go to school 10 years, would never be one, lack of Math you see But I have had em by my side saying"how did you do that" would rather have the math and be as I am, you have to live with what you have.

7. Sean Herron

Ah Ok...

Hello...

Not sure that I understand you completely - but do not put that past me - tonight I am a hill billy on slo Gin...:)

I hope your first bits are English...

Check this out - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8Ul8Lvx1M - my favourite scene from Wind...

Very nice Gallery photos - by the way...

SH.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.