want sailboat designing about 30 feet ,urgently

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by guest, Dec 31, 2003.

1. guest

guest Guest

Happy new year every one !
    Our yachts club is the biggest yacht club in Mainland of China ,we have more than 300 members ,but most of them have no own yachts .recently we want to ask someone to design and built 10 sailboats for our members ,the loa are about 30 feet . these sailboats should have good speed, stability, safety , 4-6 berths ,good comfortbility , and will not be expensive.

We will hold a great sailboats race in July or August in China . so we want to know how to make a decision ,and what is the best project to us. it is so urgent to decide it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    And if you can send some drawings,data , etc ,we will be very glad.
    I am glad to know some designers and friends here if you contract with me .
    and i think we will have a good cooperationship .
    my email : longcheer@mail. china. com

thank you very much !
    good luck !

Victor Mar ,from China

2. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

I would love to offer a design! Here is my 30 ft. racing one design. If you would like more info contact:

Doug Frolich
    Marshall Yacht Design
    Larkspur, Ca. 94939

dmfrolich@comcast.net

Attached Files:

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can supply you with plans for boats that can be built locally. Can you give me the following information:
    1)Hull material. For example, plywood, cold molded, aluminum,fiberglass, etc.
    2)Maximum draft allowable in your area
    3)What kind of skilled tradsmen are in the area
    4)Sails material available. For example, Dacron, mylar, nylon, etc.
    I expect you need a design where it can be manufactured as a series. This makes it easier and cheaper because parts can be made several at a time. My plans include construction details, material takeout, construction schedules and sequence, different interior options and some free consultation. Write me for more details and information.
    contact@boatwrench.net

4. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

OK, 10 boats designed, built and in the water by july. Which year? Anthing stock standard and off the shelf is wise in this time frame. Good Luck.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

After rereading this post, I can't take it too realistically. The design criteria in the time frame isn't doable. Half a dozen berths in a thirty footer, that still is capable of a good turn of speed and inexpensive.

Maybe they just hold a big race in July and don't really need these boats by then, just the design? This is workable. That is, a completed design fitting the requirements ready for a builder.

I can't see how ten yachts can be designed and built by July and still fill the inexpensive point.

Judging from the seeming urgent nature of the post, I'm guessing they need ten boats by mid summer. This leaves them with little option, but to select a stock design, or go with a production boat. There are many manufactures of little cruisers out there that can fill this bill for them. They may get a deal if they buy all ten at once.

I hate to say it, but the Macgregor 26 @ $19,000 (without a jib no less) is about the best they'll do for the accommodations they're asking. This is with out fair leads, vang etc. fully dressed close to $25,000 (US)

The rest of the production boats seem to start at $30,000 and rise up quickly from there. The average price for a 27 to 30 foot production yacht is 60 to 70 grand.

If they could live with tossing a tent over the boom for the berth requirements they could get by with a fast day boat of plywood on the cheap.

This does mean a boat will need be produced every 2 and a half weeks 'till mid summer, to meet the deadline. By the time a design is selected every two weeks, maybe.

It's got me thinking about hiring on more folks and banging out lick um and stick um plywood cruisers in bunches. I figure with a crew of 10 more we could build 3 a month, of a simple, basically appointed yacht. It'd be cool to see how they do against each other in the side bets of which had way more epoxy then the rest, the earlier ones verses the later clones, etc.

Then that inexpensive thing rears up and I wonder if it would be worth the trouble, busting butt for half the year, just to find out they're sending over the first born of each crew as the check bounced . . .

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Par:
    You are thinking in US terms. China has plenty of inexpensive labor. Also, what you refer to as acommodations is probably much too luxurious for the request. There are many designs that fit the criteria and time frame.

7. longcheer

longcheer New Member

about the sailboat 30'

hello,thanks for answering me.
    i posted this thread.i will tell more:

the sailboats hull material will be fiberglass.
    all of them is sailing in seaboard (offing).
    the term of the race is about August,if we can finished building.
    we had contracted a local boatyard to build them, they have some experience on yachts building,but have no experience on sailboat building.
    we want someone to design ,and plan to invite someone to supervise the manufacture of the sailboats from oversea.if there is a suitalbe existing design ,we also can adopt it.

the length is limited about 30 feet because of our quay(dock), maybe we will build longer quay in our large port after 2 years.

we have bought 2 Macgragor 26 sailboat(no sailing till now),we don't know the real performance.
    the new 10 sailboats maybe have the similar shape with Macgragor 26(longer), we not sure ,and we don't know if it is fit for a long distance (about 800 miles) race.

our president want to decide it in these several days. but i know little about sailboat. so every suggestion is welcome.

Par, Gonzo,thank you very much for your answering.

Victor,from China

8. henrikb

henrikb Senior Member

Take a look at my boat, http://vsrt.seglar.nu
    One boat is built, there are a complete set of drawings (incl. interior detail drawings, hardware drawings, deck hardware layout, lamination schedule etc.) available, the design is also prepared for CE certification. If you are interested I can put you in direct contact with the designer.
    I also work as a consultant project manager if you need any help over there....

Best regards!

[​IMG]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hard chine FRP

You might want to look at a hard chine design, with the mold built female direct. Direct molding can be done by casting FRP panels against a pane glass panel, then rolling them up, or by making a female mold of tempered hardboard (Masonite in the US). Wesport Yacht has been doing direct GRP molding for years. If you want an article on direct female molding, leave a message and I'll email one.

The Thunderbird is a very nice well-proven boat, though only 26', but quite inexpensive, and has been built in FRP as well as plywood (in Asia, as a matter of fact). It is very cleverly designed to be (home) built easily and is still actively raced in many areas, notably Puget Sound/Vancouver, so you have a class association ready if you eventually want international competition. They have a well established handicap as well. There are probably several hundred active now, with thousands built worldwide. They have a partial height mast, so sails and winches are inexpensive too. The plans are inexpensive and available in CAD, so that the panels and so on can be easily laid out. You can find their website, or ask about it from Cliff Estes, who did the CAD conversion - google "Baseline Technology" AND estes, or google thunderbird AND sail.

This would be no problem to get goiing by your dates.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Hi Victor,

I would guess from the range of ideas already being shown that it may be a good idea to be more specific in what you require! I think that by the sounds of things it may be difficult to find something existing that will suit your intended purposes, preferred build methods and materials, and any other limitations. This is especially true given the very short time frame you have indicated.

Instead of rushing in and risking building a series of boats which are less than ideal for their purpose, I would suggest the following:

Conduct a survey amongst your potential owners. This should include things like size, headroom, intended usage (local waters, offshore etc.), crew numbers, interior requirements, measurement rule compatibility (in case you want to race outwith local waters - I would suggest IRC as a healthy rule). Other questions could be: trailability (its cheaper over here to keep your boat out of the water!); cost; styling (classic or modern)?

Once you have the results of what the owners want, then you need to assess these results and create a designers brief. This should be determined by the survey results, plus any additional information related to what skills and materials are readily available in your area. Your builder will be able to advise you about which constructional materials he can get hold of, at what price, and what he is comfortable working with. For example, single skin fibreglass with polyester resin, or cored composite construction using epoxy etc.? Also, what deck hardware, mast sections, and sail cloth is readily available in your part of the world? Telling your designer what limitations there are can often encourage innovative and cost effective solutions using what is locally available.

A nice idea may be to create and distribute a questionnaire amongst your boat owners (you could use this forum for suggestions on what to ask), then place your brief on this site and have a competition to see who can design the boat which most closely meets your requirements. The owners, with the guidance perhaps of a local naval architect, could decide on the competition winner and then you could start building the boats of your dreams!

If you decide on something like this, I'll certainly prepare something special for you, as Im sure many others on this forum would as well.....!

Regards,

Andy

12. Andy

Andy Senior Member

ps I should have added that although you would end up with a more suitable boat, you would have to postpone your race series until next year. I think it would be worth it though for the quality of boat you would get, but if you still really want to race this year then why not buy some old Etchells or Solings in the meantime and have an inshore series instead?

Andy

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi. I think that the T-Bird would be a good design because of it's value and utility, both.

Could you post the URL to the article on direct female molding? Or attach it to a post? I would be interested in a copy: pls email to kdavid1963@yahoo.com.

Thanks, and best regards.

14. Mark 42

Mark 42 Guest

15. Jushpe David

Jushpe David Guest

Sailboat

Hello,

Please let me know if your project still actual?

David@morosof.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.