finding an engine

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by NappyP, Aug 27, 2010.

1. NappyP

NappyP New Member

Im in the market for an engine, but I do not know where to look. I prefer to get an inboard or an in/out hybrid. Internet research has been surprisingly unhelpful. Everything points me in the direction of Vovlo Penta. Although they are nice engines, they are a bit pricey.

I was wondering if anybody had some good resources. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. I look forward to contributing to this board, once I know what im talking about.
    -p

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

3. J3

J3 Junior Member

NOLA is New Orleans Louisiana region ?

What type of boat, how large, how fast do you want to go, and how many hours use per year?

4. NappyP

NappyP New Member

Yep, Im in the greater New Orleans area.

I do not have any specifics yet. I am currently researching the whole DIY process.... Id like it to be in the lower to min 20' range. It is also going to be a cruising boat that will see most of its use in the Gulf of Mexico, so I would like it to have a decent amount of speed. probably around the 40 knot area. As for its hour usage... Who knows. Best guess would be around 50 hours a year.

If im barking up the wrong tree, let me know. At this point of my 'build' im all ears, and open to any advice.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

For an inboards check out Cruisader, same chevy 350 blocks as Volvo, but far better engineering on the conversion parts.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.