size & pitch

Discussion in 'Props' started by harv, May 9, 2007.

1. harv

harv New Member

I am running a 1955 Chris Craft that weighs 1650# and is powered by a new 377" small block Chevrolet motor (400" block with a 350" crank) with appx. 400 HP and is cammed for 6200 RPM. At 6200 RPM I am only at 45 MPH(hand held GPS) with 1-1 ratio.... I now have a 12x13 NYBRIL prop on a 1" shaft:confused: :confused: , and it is 1" from bottom of boat ....WHAT TO DO ???

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Sounds like the prop slip is way to high . The origonal setup was probably great for 150 to 200hp , maybe. But with doubble the power , youre just warming water with the prop.

A 5 blade night help , but you will probably need to increase the diameter to eat all that power , new shaft strut and all thats involved.

There are sites that figure props on line , yours will be supercavitating.

FF

3. dmcld77

dmcld77 New Member

Pitch way low

I run a 13" x 17" on a similar boat but only have 250hp. You are way low in pitch. I am moving to 19" for an easy cruise of 40 mph at 3000 rpm.
    (40 years in boat racing and setup)

4. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

1650# sounds awfully light for a 55 chris craft unless it is a very small (15' or shorter) in which case CG will probably be too far forward causing the boat to "Plow",resulting in very high slippage. If you using a gear box, motor and trans weight alone is 700 - 900 lbs. (depending on how much alum. is used)

Correct Prop for a properly set-up 1650# boat (1850 w. driver and min fuel) is a 11 1/4 dia x 17 pitch. 400hp, turning 6200 rpm providing 90 mph @ 7% slip (55% D.A.R.)

Unless your boat is fairly long > 20 ft.This kind of power and speed usually requires a V- Drive set up to enable CG to be close to transom.

Note: Higher max RPM results in Smaller dia Prop requirements. i.e if Max rpm was (lower) say 5200 with 400 HP, recommended prop would be a 12 1/2 D.. x 20P. providing same top speed. If your boat were not "plowing" or subject to High Drag, current prop dia is addequate & motor would be overreving due to lack of pitch.

Hope this Helps - Jango

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.