PVC fabric for small inflatable catamaran hulls?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Gunnar, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Gunnar

Gunnar Junior Member

I'm on my way to make a small catamaran for padling and rowing.

What is the most suitable quality, weight, density and thickness of PVC fabric to weld inflatable pontoons around 15feet range?

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Check out a whitewater rafting supply outfit. Whatever thickness their fabrics are will likely be more than adequate for your requirements.

3. Gunnar

Gunnar Junior Member

I have contacted a few stores and inflatable producers, but have not received any response yet.
    I suspect PVC used in whitewater rafts might be overkill for a small catamaran for flatwater use. It good if I can keep the cost down. I'm planning to do reinforcement strips on the bottoms, out of whats left after cutting out the tapered cylindrical hullshape.

4. Petros

Petros Senior Member

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

PVC is difficult to weld unless you have the proper welding machine, Hypalon and glue seems a better choice to me.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.