single step hydro

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by EStaggs, Oct 9, 2007.

1. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Hey I have had this nagging idea in my head but can't seem to find much in the way of resources to study. Does anyone have any idea where some study plans or public-domain plans are for single step hydros in the 12-28' range?

Any information is appreciated.

E

2. PetterM

PetterM Senior Member

3. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Yes and no, Im really looking to see something larger, something that could be applied to a more usable boat, something that could be fished out of.

Thats a good start, thanks for posting it.

E

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

If its speed you want, there is a slightly different approach. Bolger has designed an 18' step sharpie which will do 30 mph with a 45 hp engine (hawkeye)
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/gatherings/kingston/ (look for the hawkeye pics)
    I have just written away for the plans for Bolgers larger 23ft step sharpie that uses the same principle. It uses a step running down the centre that it gets up and planes on.
    http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/fms.htm

a proven design with speed, seaworthy, inexpensive and easy to build - I hope

5. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

I have been thinking about different ways to produce a more efficient bass boat, as they are ubiquitous on our lake and drive me insane with the size of their engines. Having read up on a few different types of stepped boats, I thought either a single step mono or a 3 point with some built in manners might make a better bass boat with less hp.

Those bolger designs, with the box keel are interesting. I knew the sneakeasy and mini-trawler had it, but didnt know how many boats sat upon it. Im wondering how well that hull shape would like 70 mph though.

E

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.