Single pontoon boat drawing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saqa, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Why not a pad and foils ?

IMG_0002.jpg

2. Mr Efficiency

Disclaimer: Not recommending such a proposal, just floating it as an idea to cogitate upon

3. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

I like
    I like it a lot. You have just given me an inspiration I need. Watch out for some new drawings coming soon

4. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Mr E, if I start on solid propellant in the reserve volume, please drive down and sedate me!!!

5. Mr Efficiency

I'll send the paramedics

6. Mr Efficiency

Foils do have problems, you can't have something where a collision with an object is likely to cause a boat to become dangerously unstable, or sink, the nuisance of having weed or plastic bags hang up, is a lesser consideration, but where you can tilt an outboard to remove such, foils may be more difficult. But that is a more acceptable than having collision risks that create danger

7. Mr Efficiency

Maybe you need the "weedless" foil, like weedless propellors

8. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

The forward foil should be out off the water once planing (it has another job) and the SE300 looks like a good safe and strong shape when not on the plane

An inflatable SUP seems to be gaining popularity here as a yacht tender. Will be perfect for duties like lying down to clear weeds and such from a vessel like this

Another thing we have here are a gazillion sharks

9. Mr Efficiency

Not common to hit sharks, but I have once

10. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Eman, I like your foils. The more I think about them, the more sense they make. Do they work on the surface like pads or tabs too or only submerged?

11. Mr Efficiency

The "picture" is not to be taken as an illustration of what the foils should look like, only their location, I don't think the idea is hare-brained, but there would be a few things to think through, including what provision is made to keep the boat upright when dried out, but potentially you could have a boat that rides very well. And importantly, needing only one engine.

12. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hmmmm I think I might have found a way to implement foils in the design fairly safely. Hydroptère style foils, but inclining out instead. Delta wingtip style retracting into the widest forward and rear sections. Will draw them up

13. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

14. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Do I understand correctly that this is a bit like rotor setup in a drone? Interesting idea but seems a bit difficult to implement unless I am not quite on the same page

But I must thank you. You have given me an idea on foil deployment by rotation! The benefit I see are immersion can be adjusted without any binding worries and a shear pin system can be a "fuse" to prevent damage to both foil and boat and spares will mean getting back underway quickly

Must be a major obvious flaw with this idea that is not immediately apparent to me as I haven't come across any such implementation previously

15. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Wonder if these rotating wing tips can somehow also be used for steering if they have independent control

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.