Single or twins???

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by clint F, Jun 8, 2009.

1. clint F

clint F New Member

Hi everyone,

I am just getting into building boats this year. I built a 13 foot driftboat in my woodshop class at my high school this year. Next year is my senior year and I plan to build another boat (17 foot with a small cabin and an outboard bracket). I plan to use it in bigger water. I am wondering if I will get the same speed out of twin 40 horse mercs or a single 80 horse? Or twin 50 horse to a 100 horse? Which would you rather have on it. I really want twins incase one takes a crap in the bigger water. I am thinking twin 40 horses. what do you guys think? thanks for the help in advance.

Clint

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

clint,

two 40's does not equal an 80....ask a boat yard fella for details on comparisons mate.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Landlubber is correct. Go with 1 larger engine--it is cheaper to operate and faster. You will want to consider a small kicker engine 5-10 HP to get you home if the main engine fails.

4. clint F

clint F New Member

Thanks for the help. Do you guys think a 100 would be under owered on a 17 footer with a small cabin? Or even a better question, What would you put on it? I have decided 1 main and a 9.9 kicker. Thanks.

Clint

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

clint,
    design dictates hp, so find out recommended hp and run along those lines. If they say 90 to 200 hp. it is then up to you how fast you wish to push the plank, but certainly one engine and a 9.9 is a good proposition.

You will find the 9.9 will push the boat at least 6 knots.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.