Single inboard hulls that surf well - 24-27 ft range

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by fishingbill, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Interesting answer, it doesn't seem to apply to the "lesser" gamefish, which being a little further down the food chain, are not as bold in closely approaching boats towing lures/rigged baits, though Wahoo seem fairly unconcerned by boats. I used to let baits out as far as 70 or 80 metres on calm days, in the middle of the day, to get a strike, that you would not get at 40-50 metres.

2. fishingbill

fishingbill Junior Member

I don't know what lesser gamefish are. In my opinion all game fish are good and fun to catch. I fish for marlin, tuna, dorado offshore in SoCal. there are times we used to go 90 miles off the coast searching for albacore and tuna, others down the mexican coast 30 - 40 miles off the coast looking for the same species. It's very rare that wahoo come up the mexican coast to where I can get to them. They did show up a few years ago but I didn't have a boat back then. I have fished for wahoo off cabo san lucas. The mexican captains only fished for them in the very early am and trolled marlin lures to catch them. I have heard people on the east coast troll for them but at high speed (15 knots or maybe faster). At that speed all boats will create a huge turbulent wake. I have no experience fishing or trolling for wahoo. I'm glad we don't have to put a lure so far back in the spread. We count the wakes off the transom and put lures from 3 to 5 wakes back. We have so much boat traffic that we could not put lures 40-50 meters back let alone 70-80. I don't understand why the need to put them so far from the boat.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Different fish, different trolling depths, different baits, different trolling speeds, which can vary from place-t0-place for the same species. But if inboard it what it takes for billfish, then that's where you go.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.