Looking for Dynarig details

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Red Dwarf, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

I am very interested in the Dynarig but all I can find are pictures and very general statements.

Does anyone know where I can find more engineering related information? Also looking for real world performance information and tests. Basically if I wanted to try and play with the layout of a Dynarig all I have to go on right now are pictures.

I really like the concept shown elsewhere for the catamaran with a Dynarig. The simplicity and possibility of simple single hand operation are very appealing.

I have some ideas for a variation of the Dynarig and will post some images soon. Obviously without any design guidelines the proportions are just a WAG.

edit - here is the catamaran with a Dynarig concept. http://www.runningtideyachts.com/dynarig/

2. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Jim Betts (jbeinc.com) is building one for a Kurt Hughes designed multi. I'm assuming Jim is just building what they asked him to but you might contact Hughes (multihulldesigns.com) and see what he knows.

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Hi Red Dwarf,
    I'm the guy who proposed that Dynarig cat. I was also involved with some discussions of alternative forms of the dynarig such as here
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/square-rig-variation-30031.html

There are some other similar discussion threads if I remember correctly. If you use the 'search' function of this forum and simply look for all subject threads with the world 'dynarig' you should access them.

I had some sketches done up that I was going to try and clean up a little bit and post them on one or two of these subject threads. But at the moment I just don't have the spare time to address the subject as I am working on some other projects.

Sorry for time delay

4. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

That is a really good paper. I'm sure I referenced it on the long running subject thread on Maltese Falcon.

At the moment I can't recall all of the reasoning I was using when I suggested that 'headsail addition'. So don't quote me on this short explaination I offer here, but I believe this was part of my reasoning.

If you refer to this posting on a 'stayed dynarig' and the references it makes to the 'weatherly square riggers', you may detect that I liked the idea of a stayed dynarig (even partially) on a multihull vessel that can experience quick exaggerated motions that are then transmitted to the rig. If one could carry a headstay and a backstay, then absolutely go for it, it might allow for a less loading on those mast bearings and the 'free-standing' mast.

Now if we employ a forestay-headstay why not rig it with the option to carry a light weight furling sail that might be used in light wind conditions, maybe upwind and/or on a reach?? Besides I have certainly spoken in the past to the effectiveness of such a big headsail being helped by its after sails.

When I drew this 'Dynarig on a catamaran' idea up I was exploring all possiblities as they entered my mind. I included these as possibilities to look at later in a more thorough analysis that would take place once someone really developed an interest in going forward with more detailed reasearch and planning.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.