advice on sucking oil out with sucker pump?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by Squidly-Diddly, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I overfilled by GMC 2500 van's A/T so I ordered one of these to suck out about a quart of ATF.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GW3QM4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Problem is the dipstick for the Tranny on a big van is about 6ft long (!) so I guess I'll need to buy a length of vinyl tubing at local hardware store.

Anything else I should know?

I was thinking of doing ATF flushes and filter change on a couple of cars but maybe I'll just use the pump to do partial changes. Most of the cheap $20 electric 12V pumps have iffy reviews and I can't tell if 1/3 of the users tried to suck oil from 5ft dipstick tubes with 4ft supplied hoses. Anyone had good luck with cheap electric sucker pumps? Link?

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Just use a manual sucker

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.