sims super v jetboat

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by George01, Jul 29, 2010.

1. George01

George01 New Member

Hi I Have a sims super v jet boat and need to know the makers of the jet drive and is it possible to get parts, i.e. a race. Preferrably from the UK. Hope someone can help......

2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Balance of probabilities say's its a PP65 ,post a picture if possible .then we can be sure ,The good news is you can normally keep these running .If you can't post a picture just answer two questions Is the jet black ? Is the steering mechanism a circular nozzle or two vertical flaps ?.

3. George01

George01 New Member

pics of jet drive

Here are the photos of my jet drive. It would be great if you could tell me what make and model it is and where i could get parts for it... Many thanks

Attached Files:

4. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Well George it isn't a PP65. I will stick my neck out here and risk the ridicule of my peers. During the 1990's several jetboat manufacturers tired of paying for jets from manufacturers and decided to build their own in house.Shouldn't be difficult should it ,just an impeller in a tube !!!.I think this is what happened here ,Sim's main supplier were PP and there are a few clues to this in your photos. The impeller is mixed flow as opposed to the more common ,at the time axial and although not shown in the photo looks as though it needs a taper lock bush to attach it to the shaft .The nozzle and stator look as though they are almost PP ,although that skeg isn't. I did wonder if perhaps PP had cast a custom duct,for Sims ,which they used to do for customers of their GRP models, but that reverse bucket is so clearly a triumph of hope over experience that I ruled that idea out. On the bright side if your aluminium castings are in good condition then you have a fair chance of restoring this to working condition.I think you said you needed a race,I assume you meant a front bearing, this will be available from your local bearing supplier almost certainly off the shelf.Do not quote the application. this will only confuse them ,simply take the old one along or quote the numbers stamped on it. My guess is it will either be taper rollers or a deep groove angular thrust bearing. Just as important are the seal or seals that protect this bearing from the water .Hopefully they used automotive seals ,not a carbon romet seal ,let us know and we can advise on replacing these.I note that the stator bearing housing is blanked off ,suggesting an oil or grease lubricated rear bearing or bush ,more PP, rather than a cutlass bearing.Apart from the castings very few jet parts were custom made because there was simply no point in making parts that were already available, this means that you can source these things in the same way and because of the simplicity of the machine they are quite cheap to maintain.If you have reasonable mechanical ability you will find it easy. If that impeller is a spare ,and you have not yet dismantled the jet, please take care how you do so and ask before you hit anything with a large hammer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.