Simpson catamaran designs?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by bigkahuna, May 7, 2017.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Junior Member

@Gwion - Thanks. Would love to see more photos of your boat and how your deck and cockpit are laid out. From the looks of it, I don't think the guy who built this boat knew much about sailing. But at the right price might make a good start that could be refitted to be a nice boat.

2. Gwion

Gwion Junior Member

I wouldn't worry about only having 2 winches, I only have the 2 and one jamber on the boat :). Main halyard is 2:1, luff tensioned with cunningham. Spinaker in sock, Genoa halyard goes back to primary through jamber and I have a downhaul set up through the hanks to "get it the hell down" :).
    Then again the boat is pretty simple, no electronics ,except for AP and I'm still chucking a lead and using paper charts. Oh and mainsheet 6:1 but is boomless as you can see.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. Gwion

Gwion Junior Member

I'll try and find the camera and take a few snaps tomorrow if you like.

bigkahuna likes this.
  4. Beamreach

Beamreach Junior Member

I remember this build , a Carpenter was the builder ,he posted about the build on the old ,now gone Multihull.com forum(Scott Brown brokerage UK) .
    He seemed to be a good builder and was a Carpenter ,not much help .....

bigkahuna likes this.
  5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Junior Member

That's the guy. Hard to tell but the construction looks sound but the finish is pretty rough. Topsides look like they were painted with a roller and the interior shows some gouging with a circular sander. Under the bridge deck it's really rough. Looks like he had a hard time getting the glass smooth. Several areas looked like he used more resin than was really necessary. Not what I would call "yacht" quality but not so bad as to not warrant consideration.

6. Gwion

Gwion Junior Member

GOPR0803.JPG GOPR0799.JPG gopr0810.jpg GOPR0807.JPG

Some pictures Bigkahuna as promised.

The Pool Noodles on the bridle alleviate wear around the tack area of the #1 when reaching. I get about 2 months out of a noodle. Not bad for $2. :)

The headsail turtles clutter up alot of space. A lot to be said for a furler. Then again they do keep the sun off the non-skid and are comfy to lie on.:)

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    bigkahuna likes this.
  7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Junior Member

Wow! @Gwion your boat is a million times nicer than the one I'm looking at. If I get this boat I might try to incorporate some of the things you've done. Check out the old "stock anchor"! I haven't seen one of those used in decades. And I love how you did the cabin top and tiller steering. Very nice!

8. Gwion

Gwion Junior Member

Thanks Bigkahuna. The anchor roller mounts and tillers are grp made in a chip board mould. The inner forestay chainplate was a very agricultural attempt at a composite one. They weren't so common when I built, as they are these days. The pdq website has some ideas that you may get inspiration from. With out starting a discussion over where is the best place for twin outboards, this was their retrofitting solution. Honda 15 http://files.islandfx.com/pdqlinks/Honda15.html

bigkahuna likes this.
  9. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Gwion, very impressed with your davits. Your design? Designed for specific loading or built "good enough". All glass or ply internals?

10. Gwion

Gwion Junior Member

Thanks. My design. 9mm ply sides, 90 x 19 WRC around perimeter covered in one layer of 440 DB. Fixture for tackle is just moulded glass and then glued on. I simply don't have the smarts to design for a specific loading. the Dingy has been half full of water in the past when I forgot to remove the bungs, plus I do stand in the dingy in the davits occasionally. It was a case of "it looks about right "and it has been. There is no signs of stress. The Solar panel mount is just a glued on glass bracket that articulates fore and aft . Our only source of power as the outboard doesn't have a charging loop.

11. UpOnStands

UpOnStands Senior Member

Thanks for the info'. Good to know that men in sheds are still hanging out there.
    Most would put a full arch to join the davits but your design keeps the back of boat open. 5 star effort.
    Also good to know that you kept the 2-stroke tohatsu. It provides a good datum point in terms of matching engine to hull.
    Any idea of cruising weight?

12. Gwion

Gwion Junior Member

Ive only had it on a travel lift once in its life and was told 4 tonnes by the operator. No idea of the accuracy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.