Putting togather a boat need help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gincrew, Nov 11, 2005.

1. gincrew

gincrew New Member

I am putting togather a boat at is a 18ft. cc aluminum deep v fishing boat
    I have a good merk. 150 but it is too much for this boat. I will be going somewhat offshore 10-15 miles. My question is what would be the benifits if any of running dual outboards besides reliability. I am thinking of mabey two 40s,but I don't know what kind of preformance to expect from them as compaired to the 150. With the 150 the boat will run VERY fast but is too light in the front. any help or experances with small dual setups would be apprecieated

2. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I am missing a lot of information. What is the make and model? Was it designed for 2 motors originaly? What is the minum and maximum rated HP for the boat on the manufacturers plate? 2 --75's on the back will not lower the bow but could save fuel. Some 50's are the same weight. How many pounds of "stuff" are added to the boat and where is it stored? What is your below deck fuel tank size?--------You can go a big and trolling (20 to 35 hp ) motor combo.

3. gincrew

gincrew New Member

the boat is a 1983 sea nymph it is rated for a 100 hp motor 9 people at 1250 lbs and 1800 lbs total. I will be taking two people mabey 150 lbs of gear stored in the front the tank capasity is 25 gallons mounted under the center consol.
    and the boat was set up for one outboard but has room on the transom to mount two

4. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I like the non 50/50 % horsepower. If money is a factor. If not a problem. 2 newer 40 or 50 hp are fine since you are not loading to the weight limits. And you will use bow storage, great. Can you borrow a 40 or 50 from your marina for a test run to see if it planes? Best $50 you would spend on the boat. Have the fuel tanks full and the extra body on board. If it does you know what to do. If you want to be on plane on 1 engine the single 40 or 50 would have to feel strong enough with the added weight of the missing 2 nd engine.-------------------------------------------- There is not substitue for doing the test run- runs.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.