60 htz to 50 htz question..

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by bertho, Feb 3, 2010.

1. bertho

bertho bertho

gents,
    i find here a nice used watermaker ( HRO ) but it's a 110/235volts 60 htz ...
    the control panel have connecting option for 235v ,( a transfo convert in 12v dc, should be ok) , but the motor and the oil capacitor will probably not like running with 220v/50 htz ??? if only slower, is not a problem as i can change the sheave to keep the same speed on the cat pump... any advise ?? :rolleyes:
    thanks
    bertho

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Don not buy it if you have no 60 Hz power grid, unless you are willing to install another motor. This one will run but draws a lot of current and burns out.

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

You may (or may not) get overheating if you don't drop the voltage by the full 17% (vs the 6% in your situation).

I'd buy a variable frequency drive to output 60Hz.

4. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

Yep, Freq Drive would solve all your Frequency and Voltage problems, motor wise... Hatachi makes some really nice ones that are very reasonable in price for small electric motors....

5. bertho

bertho bertho

ok guys,
    this was my worry..:mad: perhaps i can re-wire the motor to fit for 50 htz.. ? it's something easy and frequent to do here...labor is cheap , or fit a new motor..
    thanks
    bertho

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.