Graphics Ideas for 43 foot sport boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Swamplizard, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

I do not have a creative bone in my body so thought I'd ask here:

I have a 42 foot Sport Boat which I want to get "wrapped" with vinyl to promote my wife's ice cream business. Was hoping someone could turn this vessel into a large Waffle cone full of mint chocolate chip and chocolate moosetracks ice-cream - 2 or 3 scoops splashed across the bow, windshield, and sides.:idea::confused::confused:

Here is a picture of the boat from the side: 42-foot long, 10 foot beam, deck has three large sun burned hatches and the windshield is pretty old so everything can be covered. Wife is about 5'3" if you need some sort of "scale".

Let's get creative (since I can't draw stick people) :p

Attached Files:

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Hi Swamplizard

Having done some Photoshopping on my designs, I am sure what you want can be done. I'd approach a company that specializes in vinyl wrapping and signage. This is done on cars and trucks all the time, and I am sure such companies would have graphics technicians capable of creating the graphics you want. Perhaps the obvious thing is to go buy a few ice cream cones in the desired flavors, and then have a professional photographer photograph them from different angles--do it all quickly before the ice cream melts! The use those photos to create the vinyl wraps.

You may have to prep the hull properly efore wrapping--that means cleaning it off really well AND you may have to sand, fair, and paint it with a masking primer first so that the existing gelcoat stripes don't show through the vinyl wrap.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun effort.

Eric

3. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

Thanks Eric - the shops are around but they wont come up with the ideas for you for free ..... was hoping someone on here who knows how to drive phtoshop and has a more artistic brain than I do to toss some ideas my way.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The firms that do the wraps will almost always have art departments that will be more than capable to do your art work. Start by contacting local screen printing shops. They all have hungry art people. Matter of fact, larger screen printing firms often do the wraps also. Wraps are most often done digitally, but sometimes they are screen printed.

Any good screen printer will have access to libraries of what is called clip art. Clip art libraries contain every concievable object that can be drawn or pictured. That will include waffle cones and ice cream, brick bats and baby dolls. In that way even a mere computer program jockey can do a decent job of the art that you want. Some, but not all, of the art people are very talented and creative which seperates them from the computer jockey types. Shop around in those sources and you will find capable people.

Many people are under the impression that screen printing means tee shirts. That industry does a lot more than the ubiquitous tee shirt. They make decals, point of purchase displays, street signs, container printing of things like shampoo bottles and trash cans, printed circuit boards and much more. The circuit board in the computer you are using was screen printed with conductive ink and/or acid etchings on copper foil. Your telephone, I-Pad, and garage door opener too.

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Dude. Its work. Do you often go for architecture sites and ask for free drawings for your building needs? Or ask people to dig a ditch/paint a house/do plumbing/fix car for free?

Consider the cost of the realization of the vinyl work, do you really want to skimp on the most essential part of the plan - the design.

6. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

I would paint it all white, and in big pink/blue letters "free ice cream" and the website under it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.