Simple Pleasures.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Mychael, May 13, 2007.

1. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Just wanted to share a day with you all. Took my boat out yesterday (still not sailing as waiting on new boom) so with friends motored down to one of the few Sandy Beaches in Westernport bay. This beach drops off quite sharply so the intention was to nose my boat in till the keel touched and then give her bottom a clean.

Anyway with my mate at the helm I went forward to prepare the anchor and what should I see but a Dolphin, swimming along with us!!. Now I've seen dolphins before of course but never in Westernport and never playing with my boat.

He/she seemed to be a good size and although we don't move fast under motor he seemed to get enough pressure wave from the bow to have fun.The Dolphin kept crossing from Port to Starboard, so close that his dorsal fin looked to be brushing the bow. As my boat is not overly large it felt as if I could almost reach out and touch him.

Sometimes he would do a half roll and show of the white underbelly, travelled with us for a good 10 minutes or so, we really felt honoured.
    Eventually he made a deep dive straight ahead of us and I lost sight of him.

We arrived at the beach and nosed in til the keel touched with a bump, I jumped overboard and waded in with the anchor to secure us to the beach, then took another stern line to pull the boat parallel to shore.
    Scrubbed her nice and clean then we al sat on the beach which we almost had entirely to ourselves, drank hot drinks and chatted. There was no breeze and the sea was dead flat so even being an Autumn day it was not cold on the beach and the Sun was shining.

A near perfect day.

Mychael

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I can usually smell them first,--not kidding thier breath stinks of fish.

If you sit on the bow and watch them swim,---Im sure they change places and let another have a go>

Any way you get a breath of fish stink when they blow from the blow hole.

--whhooooaa its a bit stinky.

Ive seen them do that roll thing--usually on the beam of the boat. I thought perhaps he was rolling his eye up to the point where he could see me.

They definately look at me thats for sure.Once they have seen what they must consider an ugly creature, they go.

How could you kill one???

3. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

Indeed, they are so gracefull. I am amazed that they would even want to play around a noisy boat with it's diesal engine banging away. Still I am glad he honoured us with his presence.

Mychael

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

no matter how many or how oft you see them, you never tire of their company
    I,ve seem em up to 12 feet long

5. hansp77

hansp77

Sounds pretty perfect Mychael.
    With the air and water temp at the moment that swim must have been positively invigorating. At least there is still a fair bit of warmth in the sun.

I grew up on north coast NSW and was lucky enough to spend a majority of my days up there in the water (surfing) with dolphins. They are such joyfull animals.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Simple pleasures

Yes, sounds to me you experienced what sailing/boating is all about Mychael...But Hansp77...joyfull as they are, when they are about you might as well reel in your fishing line.:(

7. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

"Brisk" would be a good description. Could have done with a wetsuit actually. Okay whilst I was moving and scrubbing.
    The human bodies efforts to protect certain fragile parts of it's anatomy when cold is truly amazing, to what lengths , or more correctly non-lengths it will retract to.. lol.

Mychael

8. Patrick BLOSSE

Patrick BLOSSE La Terre entière.

"Elévation"

My own contribution, and avatar witness, could thus open up, as Charles BAUDELAIRE (french poet 1821 - 1867 PARIS) so perfectly feeled with "Elévation".

As a simple question of "eumétrie", i.e. "fair distance", probably: the ride towards the warmth of the Sun must be essential, however at the same time our mother Earth is not to be unleashed for such "simple pleasures" are equally fundamental.

Thank you Mychael for your remembrance.

Fair winds to all.

Patrick

Last edited: May 30, 2007

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Considering their diet what the hell you think it smells of, ice cream?