simple plans

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I would like to build a cruiser using the S&G method, but being new to boat building (as in I have never built a boat...I guess that would qualify me as new), I would like to try a smaller project first to get the feel of things. Most plans cost >$150.00, which is a definate buy for a cruiser (too big a project to screw up), but for a small boat for practice, say a 11-13 foot outboard style, a set of plans to purchase for $100 should not be neccessary. Are there any detailed plans for a NICE boat of this type available on the web? If I am going to built it, I want to keep and use it. I would like something that I can download for free with detailed instructions and drawings that I can import into CAD. I was going to design my own, but if it didn't work out would the problem be my handiwork or design?

2. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Try the book "How to design a boat", third edition, by John Teale. That's help you to design your own little boat, and you could try to build it yourself.

I think it'd be a good idea to design your own boat; and build a little model, with plywood. Not a really accurate one, but it'd give you an idea of what's going on before you start a full size one.

If you just want the plans to build a boat, go to Google and search for: free boat plans. After a few minutes you'll got lots of pages to look at.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the vote of confidance on designing my own. I have not givin up on the idea. Going to the city next week, will look in a good bookstore for that book or something similar. I live on an island off the east coast of Canada, so it is no easier to find books than building materials. As for the goolge search, been there for the last week. I have also seen this suggested in other threads, but I can't help but think thats how most of us found our way here to begin with. (Didn't mean to sound condescending....just an observation). I was looking for more detail than a scanned page that is hardly legable. I have found one with .dxf files called a "Dogsbody" by Gavin Atkin, and may build it, but I cannot seem to import those files (I have imported .dxf files before). Anyway, thanks for the reply. If anybody else knows of a detailed set of plans....?

Thanks
    Jar

4. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Jar,
    I bought this book at Amazon, maybe you can give it a try. It's a cheap one, quite small; that's the good thing, being small is basic as well, so it'd be perfect for you. Even if you decide to build using someone's else plans, it'd be a good idea to buy the book, read it, and then when you build a boat, you might understand better what you're doing. It really helps if you know what you're building (I mean, obviously you know it's a boat, but you don't "understand" it). I've been working in a boatyard as well, and it really complements the studies (and viceversa).

About the dxf files, if you want, send them to me, or tell me the url and I'll see if they work in my computer. If so, I'll send you the dwg files.

Also, go ahead and register yourself ;)

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Here's a direct link to the book Fernando mentioned: How to Design a Boat by John Teale - $12.57 from Amazon

I also took at look at the dxf files you mentioned from http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/freedes.htm and they opened ok for me - what program are you trying to import the dxf files into?
    I'm not sure, but I know AutoCad gives the option to save as an Acad 2000, 13, or 12 dxf format so maybe you need one of the older ones which I would be glad to convert for you if you need (or Fernando already beat me to the offer - it's really neat to have so many great people on our forums now). Also Gavin is a good guy to deal with, and would probably be more than willing to help you as you go along.

A really neat thing about Gavin's plans is that you'll also find a 3d wireframe .hul file is included which you can open with Carlson Hull Designer - if you don't already have 3d software, you should take a second and download this free program to get a feel for it. It's fairly basic, but if you're just getting started it might be perfect for you (and it's free) to both get a feel for the existing boat you're looking at and to start drawing your own.

Designing your own boat will take it to the next level of satisfaction - you just can't match being out on the water in a boat you've created yourself from a piece of paper to a boat in the shop to a boat on the water. There is a bit more risk, but a small boat is the place to build your design skills – the nice thing about small boats is that the stakes are relatively low so no matter what happens the learning experience is worth the money you put into building the boat and if you end up with a really great boat on your first try that is a great bonus. If not, you’ll know what to do differently on your second boat, and the learning process is as rewarding as actually getting it perfect. If you’ve already spent a lot of time on the water in small boats you have something to compare your design with. If not, starting with an existing design and learning some building skills and getting a feel for it that way is probably not a bad idea either. Either way you’ll have a great experience.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes jeff, you are right about the files. I have already figured out that I can open them with an older CAD, and save them as they are (DXF) without modification, and then open them with my main newer CAD. I wanted to make some slight changes and keep a plan of them. Also, I can add more detail and print on a plotter as opposed to 8.5x11 sheets. Not neccessary, but nicer to work with. In the meantime, I think that I will take both your and Fernandos advise on another project right after this one. The wheels are turning already with the more research I do. The web is nice for quick help from people like yourselves, but I agree a good book or manual is the way to go. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.