Makita resaw Band Saw question

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rocco611, Dec 31, 2020.

1. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

I will be starting my second boat build soon and I really need a bandsaw for re-sawing mahogany, I got by with my table saw for the first build but I am looking for a bandsaw to make things easier and waste less material. I found a 2116 makita 16" resaw bandsaw for sale with a power feeder in good condition, what should I expect to pay for this saw? it has three phase motors on the saw and power feeder so I will have to replace those with single phase motors or frequency drives. I am currently running a frequency drive on my bridgeport mill with no issues.

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

A 10" tablesaw should give you about 4" depth of cut, does that 16" bandsaw give you more that 8" jaw opening?

I don't know where you are, but here in New England, it would probably be easier to find a 32" 1920s saw, for a decent price. New, not so much.

3. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

thanks for the reply :)
    I am in California this bandsaw will cut 12" and will supposedly cut veneers as well, asking price is $800 and I will have to convert it to work on single phase power, the seller is open to best offer.

4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

I'm not up to date on machine pricing, but that sounds like a good price for a quality machine that can do what you describe.

5. Howlandwoodworks

Howlandwoodworks Member

Rocco,
    I hope it works out for you, I would love to have it working in my shop.
    So its 3 phase? Or is it 220?
    How about the power feed motor? variable speed.
    2 hp Baldor may not be enough power if the power feeds output feed can't match speed of cut. Motor above 2 hp can be high $ motor.
    I am from the Show Me State and have found that to be good advice.
    If you are going to resurface lumber stock afterwards the closer the infeed and outfeed rollers are to one and other and the blades will give a better cut on thin stock. We used a small 12.5 delta planer for thin materials. It worked better than a floor model planer. Learned this form a maker of Mandolin.
    upload_2020-12-31_18-21-43.png

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Will Gilmore likes this.
  6. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Pay close attention to the tire condition, they are not made to be replaceable. The saw takes only wide blades (2" and 2 1/2") and those are expensive. You need the thinnest wide blade you can get, the tensioning system is not designed for sawmill blades. For example from here Stellite Tipped Resaw Bandsaw Blades – Skarpaz Tooling Systems Inc https://skarpaz.com/stellite-tipped-resaw-bandsaw/
    The guides should also be in good condition.
    I think the price is fair considering the power feeder, but only if condition is good. Negotiating is an art, look at the saw in person and see what the seller may take.

7. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

I am going to build an inboard mahogany runabout when I retire next year, I am just finishing up a PM-38 with a Philippine mahogany deck.(not true Mahogany) I found I really enjoy building boats almost as much doing autobody sheet metal work on old cars. I think I will likely be using sapale on the next boat . I did some more research on the Makita bandsaw and found that it uses a 2" wide stellite tipped blade blades cost between 150 and 200 dollars. there is a retro fit guide kit for $250 to use narrow blades on this saw so it can be used as more than just resawing. I would have to order custom length blades or weld them up myself . then there is the cost of frequency drives to run it on single phase power. the saw is likely worth $800 to the right person but for my use I will likely be in it over a grand to be able to use for more than resawing. I might be better off buying a new multipurpose bandsaw.

8. rocco611

rocco611 Junior Member

thanks for the info Rumars, I did research the saw today and posted my above response before reading yours. I didnt know about the tires not being replaceable, I think I will look into a new bandsaw , you seem to be very knowledgeable , any suggestions on resaw capable bandsaw in the $1000 to $1500 range?

9. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

The tires can be replaced, but since the wheels were not designed for it, it's not a simple thing.
    If you are prepared to pay 1000-1500$ this saw is just as good as any, maybe better since it is a dedicated resaw. The difference between a "normal" bandsaw and a resaw is blade width, the wider blade makes better cuts.

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Can't you run static phase converters?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.