Simple Modeling for old Monks

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by steveroo, Jan 1, 2009.

1. steveroo

steveroo Junior Member

I have been trying, without much success, to find a user friendly program to draw my 36' Monk (1955). I'm looking for something that will allow me to create a virtual drawing of the old girl based on field measurements I take and can translate onto paper including interior layout. Eventually I would like to produce layers that indicate positioning of all systems, fuel, water, electrical. Something less refined that a blueprint, but a reference guide for changes I might make. I'm a retired commercial carpenter, but by no means a math wizard, and it would be nice to refer to my drawing and see whether a change would work. Any suggestions out there? I'm not opposed to paying for a software program, but I do like the idea of freeware..LOL. Thanx for any assistance. I have tried to locate the original prints for this boat, but I guess I just don't know the way to go about it.

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Steveroo have a look at a cad programme called “Designcad”. It maybe what you want. Like all cad it enables you to put a point or mark in 2D/3D space. DC has a simple point xyz dialogue box that you can type in your measurements. Then it’s a simple matter of joining the dots with lines. All cads takes time to learn, start with a simple project that you are familiar with as a 2d drawing on paper and translate it to cad.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Google Delftship and download the free version. It is not real easy to learn but is well suited to boat rendering and will enable you to do all you want. It is faster to pick up than most other CAD and you can ask questions here.

Its earlier version is Freeship and many here still use that. The functions are almost identical.

Take a week or two to work through the manual. One of the group members, kmorin, has prepared a tutorial for beginners that he will email if you ask nicely. There is some discussion here on it:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/glen-l-poweryak-efficient-design-need-bigger-25399.html

I would be surprised if you do not feel you had achieved something after a week at. I found it far more rewarding than other CAD programs for doing boats.

Rick W

4. steveroo

steveroo Junior Member

Monk Man cad

Thanx Guys I'll check out those programs, sadly,we had snow yesterday and a power outage that trashed my tower..so my pc is in the shop til tuesday and the girlfriend has graciously allowed me to use the new laptop I got her foe xmas..mr replies will be a bit slow as a result..ever take a toy from a happy kid??? I can't give enuff kudos to this site..it's like having a crew anywhere ya drop the hook!!