1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Simple marine stereo system.

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by jim lee, Jun 27, 2009.

1. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Hello everyone,

My kids wanted to play and charge their iPods in the boat.

From this and through a wild set of circumstances, we ended up developing an iPod stereo system for boats. (Works for most anything 12V)

It looks like this..

[​IMG]

The idea is that you mount the little plugin plate where you can get at it. Then, mount the module behind or under something nearby out of the way. Hook it to 12V, a pair of speakers and your done.

It uses the headphone output of your music source for its sound input. There's a USB port for charging things, that like to charge from USB ports. (Most, not all iPods can charge from this).

So if you are interested in playing iPods or MP3 players on your boat. (And dumping your 500lb CD collection.) Have a look.

The Left Coast Simple Stereo : http://www.leftcoast.biz/iWeb/Left_Coast/Simple_stereo.html

If you're really interested there's a "click to buy" button on there as well.

Thanks!

-jim lee

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well you would have to be simple to buy this as there is no quote of the power output or the speaker impedance required .....

3. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Fine, beat me up.

Did you click on the link? The specs are there. 4 Ohm, 50 watt-ish speakers.

-jim lee

4. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

yes checked the link ...very chatty ..did not see rating ...what is a watt-ish ??? is that RMS music power or watt-ish ???

5. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Well, one "wat-ish" is about one watt. We found that 50 - 100 watt speakers sounded pretty good. Speakers rated for more didn't sound as good. Those would be 4 ohm speakers.

When I looked into buying speakers all they were rated for was ohms and maximum watts.

The amp is rated for 15 watts.

-jim lee

6. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

So its 15 watts ,,,is that per chanel or total ?? and we still dont know if its RMS or Music Power or Peak ( PMP ) A designer should have all these facts at there finger tips ......

7. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

One or both, I don't know. I'm sure the designer does know, but he's off cruising the PNW for the summer and kinda' out of touch. As for more technical info on the electronic side? Your hitting the bottom of the barrel here, I've no idea. We got the PC boards, tested them, they performed like promised and we liked what we heard. So we went with it.

-jim lee

8. NEWENGLAND

NEWENGLAND Guest

watt-ish

watt-ish? Left Coast?

Ah! If you goole them together you get the Worlds First Solar Powered "Portable" Getto Blaster

[​IMG]

Lets see what I get for Ohm-ish or Amp-ish? I bet it will be Joule-ish!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.