"Simple" hydrofoil addition to a laser II

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by mar.ste, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Flying

======================

The idea of low windspeed foiling is to give the customer what they're paying money for-a foiler-throughout the wind range. Speed is not the key-flying most of the time is.
    In some places the wind is 10 knots or so, and under, most of the time which would preclude foiling for a boat designed to require 10-15 knots of wind before flying. Production foilers like the Flo 1, Quant 23 and Whisper catamaran are specifically designed to fly in light air and throughout the wind range.

2. David Cooper

David Cooper Senior Member

Having revealed my idea for a potential solution to the porpoising problem using passive foils and no wands at SA, I ought to link to it from here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=165485&p=5476782 (ignore the first paragraph which is on a different subject) - if anyone's in a better position than me to test it, please share your results. I'd like to have kept the idea to myself to develop it quietly, but I'm still tied up with other work for now and don't want to hold back the progress of foiling development. The essential idea is to use sloping foils with twist in them so that the increase in angle of attack higher up the foil overcomes the change in the effective angle of attack caused by the change in boat pitch if the front foils happen to fall a bit while the rear foils rise - this should react more quickly than foils which lack twist and may be able to prevent sudden violent crashes (and jumps).

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Links with personal insults disguised as medi bable are unfortunate and not in the spirit of this forum. You should(and probably do) know better.
    ------
    Twist has been used on many foilers. There is an English foiler that uses a canard configuration and four foil "pods" to make the most stable platform possible for ocean foiling-according to its designers.

[​IMG]

4. David Cooper

David Cooper Senior Member

Doug - I'm not one of the people insulting you. I'm simply trying to make other people think about whether they should maybe be a bit more tolerant instead of hurling insults at you all the time. You have a thread here (High Performance MPX foil/etc.) where you can post the same information and pictures with tiny modifications/additions to the text over and over again without any great annoyance to anyone, but you keep doing the same thing in numerous threads elsewhere and it annoys large numbers of people who call it thread pollution. Either you don't understand how infuriating your machine-gun posting of that slightly-modified-each-time post is or you're doing it deliberately in an attempt to drive people mad. If the former is the case, then you don't deserve the insults that are constantly being flung at you because you would have to have some kind of condition that blinds you to it (and given that I'm referring to a condition of a kind that is often associated with genius, it's no insult at all to suggest it). If you don't have such a condition though, you need to demonstrate that by stopping posting that same post everywhere again and again like a spammer and restrict it to your "High Performance MPX foil/etc." thread where such infinite repetition is justifiable. Elsewhere, just post the new ideas or relevant parts on their own and leave it to a link in your signature to take people to the thread where they can find your latest edit of your sales pitch if they want it. That would help discussions of foils to get on with discussing foils without being filled up with people jumping in to insult you.

Thanks for directing me towards C-Fly, an interesting project which has led me to lots of good reading material.