simple cad program for drawing plans

Discussion in 'Software' started by frank smith, Oct 9, 2009.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

High, I am looking for suggestions for a simple cad program that I can use to produce some boat plans . I have an old version of turbocad , but I dont like it to much. I am sure there must be an inexpensive progran that I ca export info from Freeships into and go from there.

thanks frank

2. pamarine

pamarine Marine Electrician

Define inexpensive

3. Globetrotter

Globetrotter New Member

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Globy
    he uses Freeship already!

5. frank smith

what I am looking for is a straight cad program to produce plans .
    $200. or less is what I am talking about , but free would be ok .
    I may upgrade the turbocad that I have .

thanks frank

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You need more then software to produce boat plans. Screen images of precisely dimensioned, boat like shapes aren't a set of plans. The hydrodynamic understanding and structural engineering behind the graphic representations, are boat plans. You could have the best software package in the world, but if you don't comprehend the structural elements, they're just pretty pictures of boat shapes, with exceptional dimensional accuracy. The software doesn't do the hydro for you, it just tells you the results of your efforts. Determining if those efforts are good or bad (weather it will drown you or not) is the education part.

How do you rate your yacht design principles and concepts understanding? How do you rate your understanding of developing structures? Once you give yourself honest answers to these two questions, you'll be prepared to make the next steps.

For what it's worth, my design and structure software package cost about 35 times the $200 you're looking to spend.

7. frank smith

this thread is a request for information about cad programs . I am sure there is a start an argument thread somewhere for you to make comment on.
    So why respond to this thread if you are not going to address the question ?

8. liki

liki Senior Member

QCad perhaps?

9. frank smith

that could work .
    thanks

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

There is no such thing as the 'simple' cad program that will produce the flawless drawings. Boat shapes are complicated, to expect some simpel little el cheapo program to produce the results is like expecting easter eggs to peck.

Why is it people want to spend $20 on something (and complain about it) yet expect the results to be worth millions :confused:

11. frank smith

fanie , not to sure about that , but I will check it out later .
    Pragrams that were considered first line a few years ago , are now out of date ,
    but are still good today .

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It depends what you want to do. It seems for most the problem is not to get the boat designed, but to get the boat into something practical that will produce the actual boat.

Delft ship or free ship is quite nice to design a hull with, and it does produce the stations profiles. You still have to edit them in a cad to be able to get your machine files for cutout or markings on ie panels.

13. frank smith

thanks , for the help . I think I'll head over to a cad forum .

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi frank smith

I started with TurboCAD 14 Deluxe and have steadily upgraded and i now have the new TurboCAD 16 Deluxe

It is an excellent tool - easy to learn - and easy to operate with the CAD evironment

I imported all my freeship designs into TC16 - no problem

TurboCAD is basically cheap and it works - support is ok - nothing wrong - been using it now for about 5 years

check out my website and here is the proof that all is good

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/manies-microcruiser-27869.html

i should be on the water by April 2010

no problem - Freeship 3.1 and TurboCAD 16 Deluxe

:D

15. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Have been using "CadKey" for a looong time now. It is differing in command structure from the Autocad clones, but i feel more comfortable with it. Also, it was affordable in cost back then. Files of most formats (dxf, IGES, aso) can be imported/exported.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.