simple amas for canoe-tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Owly, Jan 4, 2019.

1. nwguy

nwguy Junior Member

My ladder sections were set up that way for strength, and for height. Yes they twisted, but they rode over swells nicely that way. In fact with my last (foiling) tri, I converted the amas to twist similarly, and used bunjie cord to modulate the twist. This can be seen here:

twist.jpg

Ladders are underrated for trimaran use. They're great! Light, strong and pretty corrosion resistant. Here are some pictures of ladder use on my tris:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in on a sailboat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rnlock

rnlock Senior Member

For a torsionally stiffer ama, one could securely fasten plywood to the top and the bottom of the ladder. Gluing would be best, I think, but gluing to aluminum is tricky. For even more torsional stiffness, the plywood could be put on with the grain at +/- 45 degrees.

3. nwguy

nwguy Junior Member

Gluing to aluminum isn't that difficult. When using epoxy, you just need to wet sand the aluminum with epoxy first to prevent it from oxidizing. It works very well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.