Simon Watts "Petaluma"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sailing canoe, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sailing canoe

sailing canoe Junior Member

Does any one have a copy of Simon Watts "Petaluma"? This is my home town boat and hangs in the ceiling of a local brew pub. all I have been able to find is a sheet of construction drawings. I suspect the offets were in the "how to biuld" book that was part of the package. Any Ideas - cheers Nick

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

3. simonawatts

simonawatts Junior Member

Yes, I have a copy of the building manual.
    Simon Watts

4. mwatts

mwatts Martin

Simon, you didn't by any chance have a relative named Ronald Watts in the Notingham / Sheffield area did you? ;)

5. simonawatts

Not that I know of.

6. simonawatts

Not that I know of.
    S. Watts

7. sailing canoe

Good News

Hello Simon; I found out later that we were both at the Petaluma TSCA River Row. Good News that you have the Manual. Is there a way to get a copy? I even got in touch with the SF Maritime Museum and they did not have it any more - or couldn't find it. I look forward to hearing from you, Nicholas

8. simonawatts

My only copy is in a spiral-bound folder with photos pasted in. I can take it apart and run off a few copies--yours is not the only inquiry I've had over the years. Do you have the plans? I think there were three sheets total.
    Simon W.

9. sailing canoe

I only have one sheet of plans - the construction sheet I would guess. It sounds like a bit of work to take the spiral binding apart. I wish I had bought it years ago when I first saw it in the SF Maritime Book store. Are the off-sets in the manual or on the missing two sheets of plans. How would we proceed from here - Thanks - Nicholas

10. simonawatts

Petaluma has three sheets of plans. The first is General Arrangement, the second full-size patterns for molds and other vital parts and the third oars. You don't need (3) but (2) is essential. There is a table of offsets but you don't need to loft this boat because the mold patterns are full size. I've had a number of inquiries over the years and I'm going to put together a package of the manual with the color photos together with the first two sheets of plans. The Building Manual will be loose leaf, in a folder--you can have it bound if you so wish. The cost will be $50.00 plus $5.00 for postage making a total of $55.00 USD. Before embarking on a project of this magnitude I suggest you look into obtaining the outriggers and sliding seat. We used to get them from Pocock but that was long ago.
    My address is 24 Julius Street, San Francisco, CA 94133.
    Simon W.

11. sailing canoe

This is great! I will send you a check and look forward to the 'Package" - Nicholas

12. simonawatts

No, don't send me a check until I find out if the plan sheets are available. I believe all the original drawings are in Ashland, Oregon, and will ring them over the weekend.
    Simon W.

13. simonawatts

I have sheets One and Two of the Petaluma plans ready to go. Let me have a postal address,
    Simon W.

14. sailing canoe

Great news tell me how much I need to write the check for and I will send it and my address, to your address - Nick

15. sailing canoe

Oh sorry , I looked back and saw the cost so I'm sending a check for $55 to you - Nick

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.